TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Mozilla at MWC: Firefox OS to get an interface overhaul; $25 smartphone in the offing

By Himanshu Arora ยท 7 replies
Feb 24, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Mozilla announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona yesterday that its Firefox OS will get an interface overhaul in the coming months. According to a Cnet report, the interface changes will apply to things like notifications, search, app discovery,...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 7,016   +2,298

A 25 buck smartphone? How smart can it be? In a first world economy you may be better off with an old fashioned feature phone but it'll most likely be a hit in emerging markets.

3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,840   +670

The last paragraph makes this idea something interesting, lets hope it arrives to good port and this is not OLPC all over again.

4. Wait a minute... I thought Firefox OS was shelved after failing to gain a foothold in smartphone market.

5. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,425   +821

OMG..these *****s are copying *Blackberry*?? Way to fail, Mozilla.

6. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Evangelist Posts: 460   +104

You can find phones in the $20 range at RadioShack (and I assume elsewhere) with Android 4+ currently. Are they top of the line? Of course not! But they are cheap and useable.

7. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Guru Posts: 347   +26

Nope we are very much in development of Firefox OS.

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 7,016   +2,298

That's amazing. The cheapest smartphone we have in my country is the Samsung Galaxy Pocket at about $65 but with it's 2.8" screen I don't think it'll give the greatest Android (2.3) experience though I'm sure it's usable as well.