TechSpot

Mozilla at MWC: Firefox OS to get an interface overhaul; $25 smartphone in the offing

1. Mozilla announced at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona yesterday that its Firefox OS will get an interface overhaul in the coming months. According to a Cnet report, the interface changes will apply to things like notifications, search, app discovery,...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,504   +2,052

A 25 buck smartphone? How smart can it be? In a first world economy you may be better off with an old fashioned feature phone but it'll most likely be a hit in emerging markets.

3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,511   +503

The last paragraph makes this idea something interesting, lets hope it arrives to good port and this is not OLPC all over again.

4. Wait a minute... I thought Firefox OS was shelved after failing to gain a foothold in smartphone market.

5. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,323   +710

OMG..these *****s are copying *Blackberry*?? Way to fail, Mozilla.

6. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Guru Posts: 410   +88

You can find phones in the $20 range at RadioShack (and I assume elsewhere) with Android 4+ currently. Are they top of the line? Of course not! But they are cheap and useable.

7. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Guru Posts: 347   +26

Nope we are very much in development of Firefox OS.

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,504   +2,052

That's amazing. The cheapest smartphone we have in my country is the Samsung Galaxy Pocket at about $65 but with it's 2.8" screen I don't think it'll give the greatest Android (2.3) experience though I'm sure it's usable as well.