TechSpot

Mozilla cracks down on slow starting Firefox add-ons

By Jos
Apr 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Firefox's expandability through add-ons is often cited as a key feature of the browser, but it is also known to be a source of sluggish performance and slow startup times, particularly when running several add-ons simultaneously. Things have notably improved with the release of Firefox 4, but there's still work to be done, and as such Mozilla is starting an initiative to get add-on makers to optimize their programs.

Read the whole story

2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,920   +687

Very nice! :) I like the fact they contact the devs for those addons as well.

3. Jesse

Jesse TS Evangelist Posts: 359   +42

This is great, exactly what we need to get firefox running the way it should. I use 3 of the extensions mentioned in this article regularly: firebug, fastestfox, and xmarks. Fortunately, startup time doesn't matter much to me, it probably increases it from .5 seconds to 1.5 seconds.

4. TeamworkGuy2

TeamworkGuy2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 191

Nice, I like the idea.
    Hopefully Firefox can stay on developers' good side, I can image some designers/programers getting upset over an email from Firefox asking them to improve the performance of their add-on...

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

What I find puzzling is extensions for Chrome doesn't seem to slow down at all no matter how many extensions are installed.

Well, I guess 70% of zero is still zero though, but still...

6. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Why not rearchitecture the browser so that plugins can load later? So all the base browser functionality is ready to go and other plugins can load in the background.

They current way is dated and they should engineer another way if it is becoming an issue.

7. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 813   +26

Ah...starting a flame war. Cue another war of the browser fanboys, lol.

8. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Oh jeez, maybe there are some of us out there whose choice in browsers is not dependent on whether it takes 5 or 7 seconds for the browser to start. Id' rather have addins that I want rather than a super duper fast browser that doesn't.

9. war59312

war59312 TS Booster Posts: 117

So now who is copying who? :p

You guessed it. Firefox copying IE. ;)

Good, about damn time. lol

Win, Win for both user groups. So I'm happy. :D

10. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 813   +26

I just don't understand the big deal about browsers copying each other. The way I see it, if it works, who gives a flying monkey where they got the idea from? Not me.

Some say "well, it means they aren't being creative." ......and? I don't care if they're being creative or not. I don't use a product because it's creative, I use a product because it works and it does what I want. Where it gets the stuff it gets doesn't matter to me. Just give me what I want and i'm happy :p But that's just me.

I'm sure if I were on the other end of the equation, and this was happening to me (someone copying what i'm doing), I would be mad. Who wouldn't be? But you know what? I'm not on the other end. So why should I care? I got what I want and i'm happy.

11. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Guru Posts: 446   +17

Does anyone else see the irony of FasterFox being number eight on the list...