Mozilla Nightly, Windows 8 insane memory usage

Bink

Here we go again, Mozilla hasn't had much luck when it comes to their browser software causing a bit of an headache for End Users. I install Mozilla Nightly, and granted the browser is still in the process or Alpha and hasn't even moved to Beta yet. To expect issues when this is an Alpha build isn't uncommon, but when the memory usage is 210MB or memory with 4 windows open running Windows 8 Pro it does raises some questions on Mozilla's browsers yet again showing issues with inane amounts of memory. Oops forgot the images. :)

MN_Normal_Memory_Usage_1_Window.jpg
MN_High_Memory_Usage_4_Window.jpg

Oh? That's a lot? I swear back when I used FF10-12 that the usage was higher than that. My Opera is sitting on 1.3GB right now. :D

Here we go again, Mozilla hasn't had much luck when it comes to their browser software causing a bit of an headache for End Users. I install Mozilla Nightly, and granted the browser is still in the process or Alpha and hasn't even moved to Beta yet.
Is there a point to this?
To expect issues when this is an Alpha build isn't uncommon, but when the memory usage is 210MB or memory with 4 windows open running Windows 8 Pro it does raises some questions on Mozilla's browsers yet again showing issues with inane amounts of memory. Oops forgot the images. :)

View attachment 75551
View attachment 75552

We don't need the images. Most of us use web browsers to browse the web, not to install a new one every night to critique and complain about.

Having said that, it follows in a sequitur manner, that most of us would have no idea why, or even if, the memory usage you're claiming is an issue. So....:confused:! Unless you're a software engineer that wants to sign on and work with Mozilla for free, and out of the goodness of your heart, I suggest waiting until tomorrow to see it the "problem" is fixed.

Better still, since Mozilla is "having so little luck with their browser software" recently, just install Chrome.

I hate how Mozilla followed Chrome in the rapid release phase. I feel like Firefox could kill IE if it stayed with its yearly (or so) releases. All of these releases since 4 have been basically 1 new useless feature after another, and bug fixes just days after they release it. Chrome takes up like 20 tasks on my PC and eats up a ton of memory, I hate it for that, but I deal with it

This is one of the funnies that makes PC users different than Mac users - -
PC users like to play with "stuff" while MacHeads just want to use a tool to get something done.

Don't start bashing over that observation - - it's just another example of "different strokes for different folks".

Personally, I don't have time to play Beta Tester for Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, - - - (you fill in the blanks).

Don't start bashing over that observation - - it's just another example of "different strokes for different folks".
Me bash, NEVER. I'm just a harmless old man suggesting that someone make more constructive use of their time. After all, time is limited, or so I've been told. Um, just doing it in my own inimitable way..;)

And FWIW, you can keep both Windows 8 and alpha test browsers, 'cause that's just begging for aggravation.

I'm going to stick with my observation of, "why expect a valid answer to the original question", when perhaps one in a thousand users, feels obligated to install a new browser nightly". The difference between "optimism", and "wishful thinking" is.....(I'm waiting)?

I hate how Mozilla followed Chrome in the rapid release phase. I feel like Firefox could kill IE if it stayed with its yearly (or so)
The relationship between Google and Mozilla is an odd combination of incest and homicide. Google gives money the the Mozilla foundation to keep them as their home page, them forces them to make these stupid a** numbered releases on an almost monthly basis, or die. Google is trying to kill their competition, who is also their dependent. There's a big f*****g surprise.:eek:

I also don't really see a problem with this. First, I don't think 210 in 4 tabs is that bad, if you loaded up google.com in 4 tabs, I would expect it to use a lot less than 210, but I don't know what is going on in those 4 webpages you have up. Perhaps there is a good reason it uses that much RAM.

Second. Its a nightly release, you said you know they are expected to have issues, maybe to prevent people from telling you the obvious: They are nightlies and not full releases for a reason. Very few people have a reason to run a nightly. I've ran them before to see if an issue I was having was resolved. And I developers for FF would obviously run them, the only other reason I can think to run them is just for 'fun'. Running them for fun should prevent any serious bitching about performance problems because.... it isn't intended for you to run it as your main browser!

Third. You didn't compare those 4 tabs and memory usage between the nightly and the latest official release. Furthermore you complained that Mozilla has problems with memory usage but didn't compare to other browsers.

Forth. You also didn't mention when you looked at the RAM usage. If you fresh open a browser and then 4 tabs, the usage will be lower than if you have had it opened for 3 days, been browsing hundreds of places with 10+ tabs and then close them down to 4. Perhaps yours was 210 right after opening 4, and that is fine, but need comparisons and more details on reproducibility before I consider it serious.

The relationship between Google and Mozilla is an odd combination of incest and homicide. Google gives money the the Mozilla foundation to keep them as their home page, them forces them to make these stupid a** numbered releases on an almost monthly basis, or die. Google is trying to kill their competition, who is also their dependent. There's a big f*****g surprise.:eek:
Well yeah, but Chrome hasnt changed in looks since version 6. I feel like they need a refresh. They gotta stop this rapid release because businesses are not using these browsers because of this. My school (server) upgraded to Firefox 4, and it never updates because we dont have administrative privileges. IT guys cant keep up with these updates. It isnt their priority.

Well yeah, but Chrome hasnt changed in looks since version 6. I feel like they need a refresh.
Which kind of obviates that Google's release numbering system is exactly the farce I said it is!

They gotta stop this rapid release because businesses are not using these browsers because of this.
Who's gotta stop? You didn't make that quite clear.

AFAIK, Google Chrome has "silent updates". That is of course, if you're willing to tolerate all that crap that Google would like to have running in your computer. FF is supposed to invoke these also, or has already done so. I just turn them off. The extensions updates are automatic though.

The new versions of FF, (12.0 and up), seem to crash my IGP on a G-41 Pent dual core, 32 bit 2GB RAM rig. This happens when I load a couple of Google image search pages. (Along with the other 50+ tabs I have open).

So, what's up with that, I have to install a add-in video card to browse the web?

I also don't really see a problem with this. First, I don't think 210 in 4 tabs is that bad, if you loaded up google.com in 4 tabs, I would expect it to use a lot less than 210, but I don't know what is going on in those 4 webpages you have up. Perhaps there is a good reason it uses that much RAM.

Second. Its a nightly release, you said you know they are expected to have issues, maybe to prevent people from telling you the obvious: They are nightlies and not full releases for a reason. Very few people have a reason to run a nightly. I've ran them before to see if an issue I was having was resolved. And I developers for FF would obviously run them, the only other reason I can think to run them is just for 'fun'. Running them for fun should prevent any serious bitching about performance problems because.... it isn't intended for you to run it as your main browser!

Third. You didn't compare those 4 tabs and memory usage between the nightly and the latest official release. Furthermore you complained that Mozilla has problems with memory usage but didn't compare to other browsers.

Forth. You also didn't mention when you looked at the RAM usage. If you fresh open a browser and then 4 tabs, the usage will be lower than if you have had it opened for 3 days, been browsing hundreds of places with 10+ tabs and then close them down to 4. Perhaps yours was 210 right after opening 4, and that is fine, but need comparisons and more details on reproducibility before I consider it serious.
TS is trolling, but being fairly subtle about it. Whether it's accidentally or on purpose, isn't quite clear.

And yeah, it takes one to know one....:D

Firefox has to stop, they began to win (make progress) the business sector but that went downhill after version 4

Well IE is actually pushing them both off a cliff lol
In the old days, we used to think about baseball when we were with our dates in the back seat of the car. This was to avoid, "things happening too fast". If I were a young man today, under the same circumstances, I would keep repeating in my head, "IE-6, IE-6, IE-6, remember IE-6". Wow, if that doesn't prevent you from owing child support, nothing will.

Or, you could say to yourself, "IE still doesn't have NoScript, does it"?

In the old days, we used to think about baseball when we were with our dates in the back seat of the car. This was to avoid, "things happening too fast". If I were a young man today, under the same circumstances, I would keep repeating in my head, "IE-6, IE-6, IE-6, remember IE-6". Wow, if that doesn't prevent you from owing child support, nothing will.

Or, you could say to yourself, "IE still doesn't have NoScript, does it"?
lol that made my day

Back