TechSpot

Mozilla preparing to launch the first mobile version of Firefox

By Matthew
Dec 9, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mozilla is polishing its first version of Firefox for smartphones, and is preparing to launch a release candidate next week with an official debut coming later this month. Codenamed "Fennec" (derived from the Fennec Fox), Firefox Mobile is Mozilla's attempt to claim a chunk of the mobile browser share.

Read the whole story
  2. lfg18

lfg18 TS Rookie Posts: 86

Firefox is one of the best browsers I've ever tried, it almost never fails and it is fast, has lots of add ons and is pretty safe, it is good to see that it is coming to mobile devices
  3. I'm sure the Apple Nazis will try to ban any mobile Mozilla app from their App Store. No wonder people want jailbroken iPhones.
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Inadvertently, this may open the door for Flash/Java and support for other plug-ins or plug-in like behavior through Firefox. If FF can offer this functionality, Apple might be pressured to allow or provide their own support for these features in Mobile Safari (Flash, for example)

That wouldn't surprise me at all, but the built-in Safari Mobile browser doesn't leave a lot to be desired anyway.
  5. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,237   +79

WoW! Mozilla is comming hard into the mobile market!

Hope it works out for the best, which is satisfying the customer.
  6. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +31

I don't need all the extra functionality. I just want a mobile browser that will be as compatible as possible (which hopefully this will be), perform well and manage to get around the limited screen space (which is the major problem).

Oh, and few bugs. A previous version I tried on my Windows Mobile phone didn't work well.
  7. Razerblade

Razerblade TS Rookie Posts: 117

I have tried the alpha versions of the Windows Mobile version and it is slow and bloated. I was really disappointed with it! I hope they have improved it since i last tried it.
  8. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Two words: FLASH, IPHONE.
    Please Mozilla do something about this glaring hole in the iPhone Safari browser!
  9. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

FLASH BLACKBERRY!!! PLEASE!
  10. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

To bad Apple will never let it in to the app store. About time someone sues Apple for monopolistic business practices.
  11. Can someone please tell me what firefox is? My boyfriend calls me his Firefox (BTW he is a computer techie) but now i get to figure out it has something to do with the internet? I am so going to hate him if my sexy nickname has a geeky meaning :|

12. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,061   +84 Staff Member

13. Flannelwarrior

Flannelwarrior TS Rookie Posts: 149

Clevertroll?

Anyway..

I will be using Firefox mobile as soon as I can possibly get my hands on it, for my Android phone.
  14. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

will definitely be nice to have it for my droid phone
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.