Mozilla releases the first Firefox 3.6 release candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Mozilla has pushed out the first release candidate (RC1) of Firefox version 3.6 for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. The jump from Firefox 3.5.7 (the latest stable build) to 3.6 brings many changes, including a new Gecko rendering engine, a quicker start-up, and improved browser responsiveness.

Other additions include single-click appearance modifications via Personas, notifications for outdated plugins, improved automatic form fill, and support for the WOFF font format, HTML 5 File API, CSS, and DOM. Web and add-on developers should swing by Mozilla's official developer page for more information about the changes.

It's noted that over 75% of existing add-ons are already compatible with Firefox 3.6, so you should be okay to jump the gun. If you run into any compatibility trouble though, we published a workaround last year, and a stable release is expected soon. For those already running a 3.6 beta, it should be updated automatically.

Permalink to story.

Will probably have to wait for a bit as my finger print reader software is no compatible with 3.6 yet.

I use Prortable Firefox with the PortableApps.com. That way, I can have the latest stable release as well as the latest RC running side-by-side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back