Mozilla Suite 1.7.13 released

Status
Not open for further replies.
No,they gave that up last year.It`s all free,no nags,no ads.Just a lean mean browsing machine.

Spike said:
Isn't Avant simply a shell for MSIE??

Pretty much. But that doesn't mean much, since it adds all the same blocks as the rest. Multi-tabbed, popup block, AX block. Matter of fact you can block dang near anything you want (images, flash, java, scripting etc..). Built-in search, address bar shortcuts a'la AOL, one click temps cleaner, grouped tabs and favs, auto-saving all open pages in case the pc crashes you can get all pages back, mouse gestures and much more.
All the cool stuff you could possibly need. Tiny installer. It just uses the IE renderer I guess, so it can support the same pages, if you have all the blocks off.
I've used it for years.

Anyhoo, your answer is.....yes. lol

It just uses the IE renderer I guess,

You don't get the main advantage of NOT using IE : Security!

Even with every features M$ could add to IE, it's still stinks on security level.

REASON = ActiveX.

M$ doesn't add to Avant. Avant adds to IE. And not ALL IE, just the engine.

You can turn AX off if you like, or use it if you need it. I use it sometimes, for win updates, games, bandwidth tests etc... Or just turn it off. Not a big deal.
I've attached an image of the Tools menu, you can see lots of stuff can be turned on and off in one click. Not controlled by IE or M$, Avant takes over.

What Avant DOES lack, is not security, but FF's stricter adherance to proper XHTML and CSS. Because it uses IE's more sloppy interpreter. But a very minor deal in my eyes. I use IE, FF and Avant when testing pages I write.

I am with Vigilante on this one. I hate both mozilla and firefox with a passion. Always seem to take twice as long to load the broswer window up and I have always just like the feel of IE better, even though security wise is sucks.

Also I have run test with it Avant take about half as much memory as Mozilla or Firefox.

Can't say much about Opera never used it before.

We don't know how much RAM IE's taking when the OS is booting tho...

I have much more problems with IE : some pages are just NOT loading at all, it makes me believe that something happens and there's nothing. You can call that slow! That's a zero : infinite difference.

I'm a long time Mozilla user : I was using Netscape Communicator back then...
The move to Gecko engine got things to slow down a lot...
Gotta give a try to SeaMonkey one day!

I tried Netscape back in the day and couldn't stand it. I think it was called Navigator in those days.

I think this discussion deserves a turn, has anybody used IE 7 beta yet?

I've had to install it twice simply to fix IE 6 issues. It's pretty clean, but haven't used it regularly.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
I guess you meant 8.54?
I like to stay ahead :)
Anyhow, Mozilla Suite includes much more than just a browser, so I wouldn't really compare it directly to other browsers.
Opera has very good email,search,pop up blocker and RSS,if that`s what you mean.

Peddant said:
I like to stay ahead :)
Opera has very good email,search,pop up blocker and RSS,if that`s what you mean.
Mozilla Suite includes web-browser, e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and HTML page editor.

I tried Netscape back in the day and couldn't stand it. I think it was called Navigator in those days.

Yup! Navigator. (But they then changed the name to Communicator after that - I think that's when they added the Mail program and all this)

Just tried SeaMonkey, it's faster than Firefox to start.

If you have SeaMonkey you don't want Mozilla Suite. Mozilla completely stopped to work on Mozilla Suite (Except secutiry fixes), and SeaMonkey is an other project which is the Mozilla Suite, but it'S being upgraded. The main difference between both is that Mozilla has nothing to do with the development of SeaMonkey(But they upgrade Gecko). It's maintained by the open source community entierly now.

not true anymore. I have mozilla suite (not seamonkey) apparantly they have started wortk back up on the old project.

Vigilante said:
Why do we need Mozilla suite AND SeaMonkey? Don't they have similar purposes?
I never saw the need for firefox from the beginning. Mozilla web browser did it all.

It did. And that was exactly why firefox was needed. For your average user, the mozilla interface looked complicated and daunting, with advanced features cluttering it up when in truth, most people couldn't care less about even half of them.

In short, Mozilla Suite is an "everything in the box" package. Firefox is a web browser. The proof of this particular pudding is in the popularity of firefox. To the average person, mozilla suite is incredibly bloated, and very messy.

not true anymore. I have mozilla suite (not seamonkey) apparantly they have started wortk back up on the old project.

Big news, I didn't know this one.

So there's going to be a Mozilla Suite 1.8?

Hmm... I never found it so.... sure there were a few features that most people never used, but I could hardly say the interface was confusing.

I am using Thunderbird now and it seems pretty nice, I use it as my spaminator client. I get a LOT of messages there, well, for me it's a lot, maybe 30 a day. The only thing I notice is when I try to grab a lot of messages, maybe a hundred or so, and try to delete, it lags a bit.
I also use a client called Foxmail, pretty nice.

Reason I say is, since I already use Thunderbird, maybe I should try Mozilla again and the browser?
Although I'm happy with my Firefox, I've got my web dev tool plugins and so on. So not sure I need Mozilla, I tried it a while back on a system I built to sell but didn't spend a lot of time with it. I'm happy with Avant, I live in Avant. I can't say I "want" any more features, and I can't say there are any I could do without. It suits me right down.

Ok, well this was a worthless post, guess I'm bored...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back