TechSpot

MS to sell 30 million Windows Phone 7 handsets by 2011?

By Matthew
May 28, 2010
  1. Say what you will about Microsoft's previous mobile efforts, but there's no denying the company is firing on all thrusters with Windows Phone 7. During a presentation at ReMIX in France, Redmond cited IDC data suggesting it will ship 30 million WP7 handsets by the end of 2011. For comparison, the company only shipped 3.7 million Windows Mobile phones last winter, according to Gartner.

Read the whole story

2. Timonius

Timonius TS Guru Posts: 587   +34

Well, if they can really compete with all the options out there then I'd say their goal might be realistic.

3. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

When is that phone pictured above going to be available through retailers?

4. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 895   +135

The phone pictured is a mock phone that will never come into existence. However, several phones from several different manufacturers (Dell, Motorola, HTC, etc) will be releasing phones with the Windows Mobile 7 OS as soon as the Christmas season of this year.

I'm hoping to be a future owner of one such phone :)

5. are there really 30 million people that would by a windows phone or is this some sort of numbers game where they count the number of phones sitting in all the stores that carry them? I could see them sell that many if they sold them for a dollar and that included the 2 year service for free!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.