MS Windows LongHorn.............. On it's way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Guvernment

Hey all!

well yeah, i got it, installed, build 3683, still alpha, so far only main issues is explorer error, but that is to be expected, anyways it looks good, the interface (colors is nice) and the flexibility of the quick launch and other features is great! Some screen shots are below i took of my install:

Desktop
desk%2001.jpg

Nice little features when you are saving images - previous opened folder on the right and u can zooom in and out in the save area.
desk%2002.jpg

desk%2003.jpg

The slide show on the lft - changes images on it's own - kind of useless, but neat at the same time....

desk%2004.jpg

hehe, i would say it is the same, just diff wallpaper..lol could not stand that pixely background - and i only got a res of 1280 x 1024.

So how u likeing it so far?

yes for sure - with the new ey candy they are putting in yes - i went in adn killed some eye candy so it runs fauirly well.

right now it is basically XP - with some new small features, but nothing major yet.

I still think Longhorn looks like Windows XP XP. Looks pretty nice by the look of it though, I may have to give it a shot. I especially like the green and red bars for disk usage.

When is it supposed to be coming out??

Are there any option to turn off the xp look?

And what about activation/hardware changes? Anything implemented in the alpha's?

Well, 1 out of 3 isn't too bad... I might just get it after all....
Activation doesn't bother me as much as the limit it imposes on hardware changes....
It's my computer and I'll should d...... well be able to change whatever hardware I see fit.......

I'll probably run it when it comes out just to be up to date, but to be honest XP and Longhorn just seem to me to be Windows 2000 with a nicer interface. That's a poor reason to buy a product and a pretty low trick on microsoft's part.

It seems especially true for any builds of the windows 2003 server I have seen. Its basically Windows 2000 Server with the XP interface. I looked extensively through the tools and didn't find much new.

Its really a shame that Microsoft don't release more, better operating systems. Much of what we seem to get is repetition. Only really Windows 2000 and Windows 95 have been genuine innovations in my book. Windows 2000 really did improve things over NT4, and there's no comparison between 95 and 3.11.

But XP seems to just be 2000 with a skinnable interface and some extra crappy games and media players. Longhorn will likely just be another dodgy attempt at getting another wad of cash from you for nothing. They should be giving these kinds of upgrades away for free to licence paying Microsoft customers, and only charging for the major changes like 2000 and 95. XP seems more likely some kind of multimedia service pack. It should be a free add on and not a seperate OS. Same goes for Longhorn from what I have seen. I will listen to anyone with good info that says I am wrong.

I completely agree Phantasm66! They rip you off good, they show you a few fancy screenshots, say a load of bull that's new but was really in all the other Windows OS; then you buy it and find out that you've been cheated yet again by a geek with glasses (no offence to anyone with glasses). If anyone can give me some + points on Longhorn, I would be glad to hear them, I am in a crappy mood now.

Its hard to say much about longhorn right now. Some of the early builds of XP (early whistler) had the exact same GUI as 2k, not even an option to do this eye candy stuff.
Point being, even though that wasn't that great of an example, is that its still pretty darn early in development - lots of things can change. Hopefully something big will come up.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm in a better mood now afrer seeing this . Don't mind me when I'm angry, I just make a fool out of myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back