Msconfig and windows update errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I run msconfig, nothing happens. The task manager says it's running, but it's not there. Also, microsoft update hangs. I've run virus scans several times, and AVG pro says I don't have any infections. Any ideas?

Thanks

Try Start->Run-> C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe

If that works, copy the next lines into Notepad (copy and paste)
And save as MsConfigFix.reg (using the drop down all files in Notepad)
Then double click and merge, then try again.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MSCONFIG.EXE]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\PCHealth\\HelpCtr\\Binaries\\MSConfig.exe"

I always feel compelled to mention this... ( I don't know why since nobody seems to care) SpybotSD has a startup manager in tools. It will do the same thing as msconfig. It gives many explanations as to what the startup programs are, and whether they are needed. It will kill unneeded apps. Am I alone in my utilization of this program? Tell me. please, I feel so alone.

:) I generally just use msconfig, however, the issue here isn't that he can't disable something on startup, it's that msconfig will not work properly for one reason or another. This, to me (and others I assume), suggests either some form of malware infestation, or, data corruption.

I've criticized others in the past (not too much here, but IRL), for suggesting a Windows reinstallation so hastily. However, it really is the "easy" and effective way out. It generally doesn't take more than an hour or two from start to finish and personally I just feel safer doing that than hunting down malware or corruption. Besides, you could easily spend the same amount of time trying to reverse or correct your issues and still turn up empty handed.

It is used way too often in PC chop shops and places like Geek Squad, but, it's definitely worth taking that route (in my opinion) in a lot of situations.

Hey, SpybotSD might turn up a piece of spyware, who knows.
It really is as easy to work with a program in the Windows environment as it is with Msconfig.

Reinstalling the OS is the easy way out for a savvy user, with backups available, even a clean drive image.

You would have to do a complete reinstall of your programs. But as you rightly pointed out, you could screw around for hours otherwise and not solve your problems.

I have a goofy registry problem in my Emachine T-5026, where I can't use the Windows firewall because I removed "Macafee Security Center" (which didn't do squat but nag you to buy more Macafee garbage. The Norton AV and apparently any other security program was routed through the "Security Center" nonsense. But, my OS is tied to a restore disc and a reinstall would just reinsert the suppository so to speak.

captaincranky said:
I always feel compelled to mention this... ( I don't know why since nobody seems to care) SpybotSD has a startup manager in tools. It will do the same thing as msconfig. It gives many explanations as to what the startup programs are, and whether they are needed. It will kill unneeded apps. Am I alone in my utilization of this program? Tell me. please, I feel so alone.
No you are not alone it your appreciation of SpybotS&D; I used it all the time and
frequently as a startup manager.

Personally, as I'm on a laptop, I inhibit all auto-update programs.
1- they eat VM and increase startup times
2- I like to schedule my updates and not have them thrown at me, giving me time
to research, "do I need this?"

(2) is how I avoided the forced IE7 download :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back