MSI Aspen 1.0 MB (HP9500y computer) 8GB RAM, doesn't POST

OCZElite

Hi guys

My brothers computer which came with 8GB of ram, which posted fine when we first bought it. However when i installed a new power supply for( Antec 650W Earthwatt) and powered up, the computer wouldn't boot. So again i tried doing two slots 2GBX2 so 4gb, and its posts, but the problem is when i put all 4 sticks for 8GB total it doesn't.

I tried all the dimms in 2 stick config, and the dimms are fine, its when i have all 4 sticks in with the new power supply is when the computer won't post.

Worst problem is that the MB is MSI Aspen and HP locked MB, so i can't do anything.

So someone please help me.

Thanks

I would recommend you download the ISO of memtest, burn it to a CD, and then boot it with 2 sticks of RAM, and then run a full test overnight, to do as many passes as possible. Do the same the following night with the other two sticks, and then get back to us on the results.

Changing the PSU shouldn't make any difference to the RAM, the voltages and timings are taken from the motherboard, not what the PSU kicks out in terms of power.

If you can get it post to the CD with all 4 sticks fitted it'll be even better. I would also suggest clearing the CMOS as well, just in case there is a glitch in the motherboard caused when replacing the PSU.

i tried clearing the cmos and checked with memtest...everything works fine, but the stupid HP board doesn't want to accpet 4 sticks that it did before.

If the old PSU still works, try refitting it, and then see if all 4 sticks are working again.

I Actually did try using the old Power supply and it also doesn't want to support 4 sticks. Its very strange thing actually.

Back