TechSpot

MSI challenges Alienware with lightweight, 14-inch gaming laptop

By Dave LeClair
Jun 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The market for powerful and lightweight gaming laptops is heating up with companies like Alienware and Razer both pushing the envelope further in terms of the kind of raw power that can be squeezed inside a small package. MSI, a...

Read more
  2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 850   +220

If it costs more then $1200 there is no excuse not to have atleast a 64GB-120GB SSD boot drive, I don't care what the rest of the specifications are. Just my .02
  3. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Enthusiast Posts: 206   +51

I quite agree, but that's still a good bit of hardware. Also at that weight it's not going to bother you, carrying it around to places. Of course for all that it matters, I'm personally better off with a desktop. For the few places I go, there's no real need for a powerful laptop.
  4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,954   +901

They could have easily added in a 1080P screen and upped the GPU to a 765M. The 760M has slow clock speeds. Also was Intel on crack when the named their CPUs lol. The 4702QM has a lower clock speed than the 4700QM despite having a larger number (4702 vs 4700). Yeah, the 2 represents 3.2 GHz, but that is pathetic lol.
  5. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,814   +542

6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,913   +363

"The market for powerful and lightweight gaming laptops is heating up"

Intentional pun or not I thought that was funny.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  7. Tawhid

Tawhid TS Rookie

Msi should get a nice design team, only specs cant win top range...
  8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,954   +901

The design is fine, the specs are the problem lol.
  9. That pc seems to have crap cooling :/ its either under the pc or on the side, with is not good :/ who wants a computer that is only playable in the winter ? :eek:
  10. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TS Enthusiast Posts: 196

I don't understand why the specs are a problem, they seem pretty much good enough for a 4.4 pounds gaming laptop.
  11. A snowman.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.