MSI G series gaming laptops upgraded with GeForce GTX 680M

By Matthew
Jul 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Introduced only a few months ago, MSI has updated its GT60 and GT70 gaming notebooks to offer the fastest mobile graphics processor in Nvidia's arsenal. Priced at $1,900, the GT60 comes equipped with a 15.6-inch 1080p display, an Intel Core…

Read more
  2. thewind

thewind Newcomer, in training Posts: 65

I just bought the MSI gt60 with 12GB ram, 2x 500GB in Raid 0 7200RPM, i7-3610qm GTX 670m 3GB GDDR5 and a 1080p screen with the light up keyboard and it only cost me $1350 with newegg! Plus I got a Free xbox 360! I wouldn't pay $1900 just to upgrade to a 680m... I really doubt its that much faster. I think you can switch out the GPU's in these though...
  3. DanUK

DanUK TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 189   +7

Wow you guys sure do get those cheap. Here in the UK the GT60 costs around £1700 :[ (approx. $2,700) .

I've never been much of a fan of laptops for gaming anyway partly because of the cost and performance reason (although more recently they're getting a lot more powerful but price isn't coming down.. not here anyway).
  4. Jamibi

Jamibi Newcomer, in training Posts: 24

Yeah, true, the laptops are a lot more expensive here in the UK. I'm thinking of buying a laptop for when I go back on my second year of uni in september, but I might just have to settle with a medium-ish range laptop and throw an SSD in it instead. As the gaming laptops just seem way out of my price league. :( Especially in the UK.
  5. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Guru Posts: 411   +42

A laptop like that will also set me back around R30 000 which is $3627 US
  6. thewind
    You can actually upgrade the GPU to whatever was offered in that model of laptop. The heatsink may be different but wattage should still be the same. The problem is, would you be willing to shell out the $500 for the GTX-680M upgrade?
  7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,884   +351

look at that keyboard...O.o
  8. thewind

Seeing as I can get $400+ off my current 670m. The price difference wouldn't be as much as the difference in price.
  9. DKRON

DKRON TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 552   +9

I think your getting your mobile graphics cards mixed up, a GT 670 is not a GTX670, GTX is the real gaming cards and GT are only the entry level ones
  10. thewind

Are you smoking paint? I never said anything about a GT excetp for the name of the computer which is a GT60! My computer has a GTX 670m which I stated. It was on-sale last week though new egg for $1350, and a $550 price difference to get the SAME computer only with a GTX 680m is not worth the price difference. Read before you reply.
  11. thewind

@ DKRON:

ARE you smoking paint? I never said anything about a GT 670. The computer is a GT60 which I clearly stated. Newegg had the computer on-sale last week for $1350 US. I am typing on it now. The onlything different is the new one has a GTX 680m instead of my GTX 670m. Which for a $550 price difference its not worth it. I could sell my gtx 670m and buy a gtx 680m and still not pay the price difference that they charge.
    Here's my computer except it was on sale last week for $1350. $1349 to be exact but who cares:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152337

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.