MSI GeForce GTX 550 Ti heating up and video driver shutting down

Hello,

I think I've got the noisiest video card on the planet, but that's not the issue. The issue is that, in most games, when it reaches about 75-76 degrees C my video card driver stops working (as Windows 7 kindly tells me in a pop-up). It does reinitialize almost instantly, but this is definately not normal, and it's annoying to have the game stop for a sec while the driver does that. While I can't complain about the temperature, since I understand that's within the limit (100 degrees max, according to producer), I definately need to find a fix for this problem.

Full PC specs are:
KingMax 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
Intel Core i3 2120 3.30GHz box
MSI GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1GB DDR5 192-bit
Seagate 500GB SATA-III 7200 rpm 16MB Barracuda
Arctic Cooling Silentium T11 full black
Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D3V
Sirtec - High Power Element 400W

I have the latest nvidia driver. I have a fan at the front and at the back of my PC case (only has 2 slots), so the air flow is decent.

Any ideas? I didn't try to OC it, or anything like that.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 7
If the card is making noise and giving Windows errors, replace it. The noise is coming from the fan. Is anything touching the fan inside the case?

Use manual FAN, control and take it to 100 percent.

many apps can do this, most popular RIva Tuner or MSI or Precision.. I have feeling your fan is not spinning at 100 percent and is stuck maybe on 30 or 40 percent. Try manually like I said. gl

I actually sent the card in service. I'm waiting for their reply now.

Nothing i tried worked. Nothing was touching the fan. I played with the fan speed using MSI Afterburner but the video card still reached 75 degrees and the video driver then shut down...

Okay, let us know how the repaired card works. Does the card have an exposed fan like mine? Exposed meaning no cover over it

They replaced the card. I don't know exactly what the problem was with it, they didn't specify, guess they thought it doesn't matter to me anymore.

The new card is staying alot cooler in games and makes less noise since the fan is not spinning so fast. Hope this one doesn't give me any trouble.

le: it has a cover , it's the one with red and black on google

Back