MSI GT83VR Titan SLI Review: GTX 1080 SLI!

Yeah... I have better things to waste five grand on. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice gadget but definitely not worth it to me.

I had visions of the Sinclair PC 200 when I first saw the pictures. Put a 20 inch 1440 panel on that laptop with thinner bezels and it would look a better proposition.

A performance laptop with resolution smaller than what you get on a mobile phone today?

Something is wrong with this picture :)

Techspot had the prototype of the Asus GX800 earlier.... I'm going to assume that it is still superior to this laptop.... not to mention that it packs a 4k display (with G-Sync) and far better location for it's trackpad...

https://rog.asus.com/articles/g-ser...nces-gx800-gaming-laptop-with-liquid-cooling/

Unfortunately, it makes this laptop seem cheap...

Edit:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1231-extreme-laptop-geforce-gtx-1080-sli/

That was Techspot's review of SLI 1080 cards using the prototype of the GX800.... still awaiting the official review of that laptop :)

Last edited:
5K for a 1080p desktop replacement... For $5,000 you can build an SLI 1080ti, 960 Pro, 4K gaming rig with a top of the line case and processor with money left over for 2 4K displays and a custom desk and still have money left over for a burger or two.

Gonna file this one under "vanity products."

Anything that costs this kind of money had better wash the dishes and be good in bed at a minimum...

Well, remember, the $5,150 USD is for the full-featured model (64GB RAM, dual SSD/RAID 0, plus 1TB HDD); the lower-end model (16GB RAM, no SSDs, 1TB HD) "only" costs $4,400.

Although that seems weird, because my local Micro Center is advertising $200 off the "regular" price of the model (http://www.microcenter.com/product/467655/GT83VR_Titan_SLI-055_184_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Aluminum_Black), but they show it having not only the 1TB HDD but also a 256GB SSD , & they're currently selling it for $3,300 USD...which would put the "regular" price at only $3,500 USD. Guess Amazon wants to make sure they're making money off of it, if they're going to increase the price by 25-33%. Would have been interesting to see how the lower-end model compared in performance to the higher-end model, as well.

Well, remember, the $5,150 USD is for the full-featured model (64GB RAM, dual SSD/RAID 0, plus 1TB HDD); the lower-end model (16GB RAM, no SSDs, 1TB HD) "only" costs $4,400.

Although that seems weird, because my local Micro Center is advertising $200 off the "regular" price of the model (http://www.microcenter.com/product/467655/GT83VR_Titan_SLI-055_184_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Aluminum_Black), but they show it having not only the 1TB HDD but also a 256GB SSD , & they're currently selling it for $3,300 USD...which would put the "regular" price at only $3,500 USD. Guess Amazon wants to make sure they're making money off of it, if they're going to increase the price by 25-33%. Would have been interesting to see how the lower-end model compared in performance to the higher-end model, as well.

That's only a GTX1070 not the 1080

That is a pretty paltry display, and a high price tag. Might as well just build a SFF PC for a lot cheaper and take your own display. That display size would also be ok if you are primarily doing VR, you won't be using the monitor anyway in that sense.

That's only a GTX1070 not the 1080

Ah, I see. Still...if your laptop is only hitting 1080p/60Hz, dual GTX 1070s is probably overkill, but at least cheaper than the dual 1080s.

Ah, I see. Still...if your laptop is only hitting 1080p/60Hz, dual GTX 1070s is probably overkill, but at least cheaper than the dual 1080s.
The assumption is that you'd be connecting an external display to this beast.... like a nice 4k monitor... otherwise, yes, dual 1080s are a bit overkill...

5K for a 1080p desktop replacement... For $5,000 you can build an SLI 1080ti, 960 Pro, 4K gaming rig with a top of the line case and processor with money left over for 2 4K displays and a custom desk and still have money left over for a burger or two.

Gonna file this one under "vanity products."

Yes, but can you transport that PC easily as this laptop? Wow, what a surprise, desktop PC is better value.

I would love to get my hands on this laptop, unfortunately at almost CAD$10000 it's a tad on the expensive side...!

For that kind of money I'm gonna buy better hardware and make it into a laptop my self.

Talk about confusing ... Using the "Titan" name. If they didn't put the (1080 SLI) one would think otherwise...

And why would you pair the screen with a 1080p?....

Back