MSI GX630 is is showing some very high temperatures

sadbluescreener

Hello, as you can see i have a MSI GX630 (specs: http://bit.ly/bTZ80z) and the machine pumps has been constantly overheating since last week when I was playing MW2. It shut off mysteriously at first, and then i found out that the heatsink was not completely on the board.
I had the heatsink screwed down to the board but still there are really high temperatures for the CPU. I use HWMonitor and my GPU has normal temperatures but the CPU has 90+ and 100+ Celsius when I've just turned it on. The temperatures are rather high even when I'm doing simple tasks such as browsing the Web.

Is there any light that can be shed on this matter? :S I just don't understand why it burns up so much, even when I have stopped gaming on it since it first shut off last week. :S
I have some pictures of how the board and the lifted heatsink looked before it was screwed down. I haven't taken any new pictures of the screwed down heatsink yet but I will do so soon. Let me know if you need to see those pictures please. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It not as simple as reattaching the heatsink to the CPU. There is a thermal compound that has to cleaned off and fresh compound applied. As it stands now you are probably not getting good heat transfer from the CPU to the heatsink.

oh.. ok, so is it that while the heatsink was off the board this thermal compound dried out and new compound is required? a friend of mine suggested changing the compound also. any suggestions for a specific brand or type?
also, thank you for the speedy reply.

Arctic Silver 5 is a good compound. Anytime the heatsink is removed from the CPU you need to clean it and apply new compound. That is standard procedure.

Back