MSI launch conditions failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestman

the above is message I get trying to install a company software that installs perfectly on another computer. Running XP. What is this, and how can I fix? Any help appreciated. Thank you. Best man

No, it's not. It's a laptop, had for several yrs, had win xp pre-installed. It's an Averatec, nice machine, first real prfoblem I've had. Even running the software from a cd, I get the same message.

Excuse me, while i work to remove what appears to be a "foot from my mouth" :blush:
Funny thing is MS Installer is what first came to mind. Something i Googled made me think otherwise - and incorrectly as we can now see.​

Bestman
1) Do do you know which MSI (microsoft Installer, of course ;) you're running? There's both a 3.x and a 4.x version out there.
2) Are you running XP Pro or Home. If it's Pro it's possbile to set Windows to create a debug trace log of what MSI installer is doing. This might give us the exact info we want to find the problem

In any case, i need to run out now. back in a few hours. tell me if you got XP Home? or XP Pro?

use the Eventvwr.msc to view the logs

under SYSTEM events, look for the errors. there's a small icon of two pages; click on it to COPY the contents of an event.
come back to this thread and paste your ERROR findings

You can certainly try looking in your Event Logs but if you do you must check both your System and Application logs

To capture recent Errors and Warnings that appear in your System and Application Logs
/* EDIT */ This script will only work if you're running XP Pro (not XP Home)
First, recreate the installer error. Then click Start->Run, enter cmd to open a command window then copy/paste the following command into the window. Then attach the events.txt file it puts on your Desktop into your next post (use the paper clip icon to attach a file)
Code:
cscript "C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventquery.vbs" /l application /l system /r 35 /v  /fo table /fi "Type eq error OR Type eq warning" > "%userprofile%\desktop\events.txt"

/* EDIT */
And fyi... and if more info/detail is still needed after whatever found in the Event Logs, here's how to enable MS Installer logging to help trace problems if needed. Here';s the link. Just ask if you'd like more help to set it up and/or interpret the results

xp home? darn. so much for that easy script.

You'll either need to review the Event Logs yourself looking for what might be relevant error messages... or see post [post=768354]"Event Log Explorer"[/post]. Follow the example in the post to export your System And Application log data for Error and Warning events over the last 7 days. Attach the export log data to your next post (using the paper clip icon)

can send by email, but this site won't let me post it. Jobeard, is there an address I can send it to?

Arghh.. OK..

I think the min post needed to attach limit exists to prevent someone joining the forum to simply Spam.

For now to start, just look in each of the log files individually yourself. Do you remember the time the MSI error occurred? Or recreate the MSI error again, note the time and regenerate the logs. The entries are timestamped. Copy/paste just those entries that are about the same time as the error. Will look at just those to start

/* EDIT */
And be sure to look in both your System and Application logs!

Event Type: Error
Event Source: COM+
Event Category: (98)
Event ID: 4822
Date: 7/9/2009
Time: 4:26:10 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JOELS
Description:
A condition has occurred that indicates this COM+ application is in an unstable state or is not functioning correctly. Assertion Failure: SUCCEEDED(hr)

Server Application ID: {02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}
Server Application Instance ID:
{1EF534DD-0CF0-4961-947A-E0619F2FB191}
Server Application Name: System Application
The serious nature of this error has caused the process to terminate.
Error Code = 0x8000ffff : Catastrophic failure
COM+ Services Internals Information:
File: d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\comsvcs\tracker\trksvr\trksvrimpl.cpp, Line: 3000
Comsvcs.dll file version: ENU 2001.12.4414.308 shp

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Only from application log,not the system log

if i can add a bit more info...

Are you running XP SP2 or later? Are the two different systems in domains or not? (or one is, other not?) /* edit 8/ As in the one system you said did work, while the other failed?

Just as also interesting your specific error and messages (and even the same and specific filename in your error log) also occurs listed as a problem message for this MS KB916254

OH! Also... (and i apologize for the double post but want to be sure to grab your attention)

Getting back to the version of MS Installer (and other possible options to fix your problem)

Rt click Properties C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe, click Version tab to see which version of the installer you are running (is most likely a 3.x release)

=> To reinstall v3.1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803
=> You might also want to try v4 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288/en-us (i've been running with it, no problem, since release about 6-12 months ago)

I really appreciate the knowledge you people have, and the time you take to pass it on. After reading all the articles at the links you sent, I did go into services, and start the items one of the articles said to start. Didn't help. One of the articles led me to a Microsoft hotfix rollup pkg 12,kb 910720. Microsoft gave all sorts of warnings about it still in beta, was unstable, and to wait till the final ver is issued. I did not install.
Quick question. How do I uninstall xp, and re-install from a cd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back