MSI to stop including manuals and other paper materials with its motherboards

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: MSI is the latest company to go green by removing something that’s long come with its products: paper materials. The change only applies to its motherboards right now, and covers manuals, fliers, catalogs, and reward programs.

As most people are aware, PC hardware usually comes packaged with a ton of papers, from competitions and membership programs to product registration cards and leaflets for related items. The majority of it ends up being thrown away, so MSI has decided to remove all this material from its motherboard boxes to save energy, reduce carbon, and "protect trees."

"MSI is committed to mitigating the environmental impacts of its business activities through green production and supply chain management," MSI writes on its site. "We have invested actively into improving energy consumption, waste reduction and chemical substance control in response to climate change risk."

The most noticeable absence will no doubt be the manuals—but will they really be that much of a miss, especially when the majority of these booklets is made up of the same instructions in various languages?

For those times when consulting the manual is necessary, MSI is directing customers to its website where they can search for the documents. The company is also including a QR code on the motherboard box that will direct to a digital version of the manual.

As was the case with Apple and Samsung when they removed the included chargers from their phones for environmental reasons, some are pointing out that the savings MSI will make from dropping the paper materials are unlikely to be passed onto the consumer.

Don’t be surprised if MSI’s long list of other products, including graphics cards, also start shipping sans manuals. We can expect other hardware companies to eventually follow suit and go paperless, too.

Permalink to story.

I think they should only include one quick guide that show the motherboard connectors ... etc ...
Then the pin layouts for the power/reset/lead headers. That is all people need.

They are saving money not including paper but they tackle as enviromental with in a manner is true. Hope they print QR in the motherboard so we can get in to the page to download manual and drivers. If they really want to help they will send their product in a box without color with minimum printing, no CD, no even stickers

Paper is a crop. So this is a crock. It's less expensive for the company and I don't mind.

Look it up on your phone.
Good thing phones are good for the environment. /s

They are saving money not including paper but they tackle as enviromental with in a manner is true. Hope they print QR in the motherboard so we can get in to the page to download manual and drivers. If they really want to help they will send their product in a box without color with minimum printing, no CD, no even stickers
This is only practical as long as the QR link is good and as long as MSI bothers hosting the documentation. The secondary market is going to be SOL if MSI breaks the QR code or stops hosting it, or be at the mercy of shady third-party rehosters.

Awfully convenient how all these environmentally friendly initiatives end up saving costs for the manufacturer and disadvantaging the secondary market.

Last edited:
Good thing phones are good for the environment. /s

So what? You bought your phone specifically to look up motherboard manuals? Nope. You'll have your eco-unfriendly phone ANYWAY. You might as well start using it for sensible things too.

Taking a manual out of every box on a pallete of motherboards might save enough weight to save a modicum of carbon in transport. That will probably do more good than the paper saving. I dont really care if MSI keep the profit, personally I like seeing corporations profit from climate friendly decisions. Besides, its 2022, we can get the user guides online.

As single cardboard flier with pin outs, headers and jumpers should be in there. Hell, they could print it on the inside of the box but IT SHOULD be included. It's literally the only thing that should be in there.
That "single" cardboard is around 70 MILLION motherboards. EACH AND EVERY YEAR. That's 70 million "single" cardboard every year you'll probably use once in your life for 2 minuts, then throw it away. And we've only touched motherboard pinout cardboards yet. Can you imagine how much junk the entirety of humanity produces with all the cr@p we're consuming? Most of which is completely unnecessary. In this case, because you're too lazy to point your camera at a QR code and check the pinout on your phone. You NEED that printed on hard paper, otherwise it just won't work for you.

It's always the volume that's the issue. Obviously no one would care about a SINGLE cardboard, but there's a whole world out there beside you, dude. Around 8 billion other people, specifically.

Last edited:
So what? You bought your phone specifically to look up motherboard manuals? Nope. You'll have your eco-unfriendly phone ANYWAY. You might as well start using it for sensible things too.
The only reason I bothered buying my current smartphone was that it had a physical keyboard. I was on the cusp of getting a feature phone because I've come to loathe the paradigm and its intellectually crooked champions.

That "single" cardboard is around 70 MILLION motherboards. EACH AND EVERY YEAR. That's 70 million "single" cardboard every year you'll probably use once in your life for 2 minuts, then throw it away. And we've only touched motherboard pinout cardboards yet. Can you imagine how much junk the entirety of humanity produces with all the cr@p we're consuming? Most of which is completely unnecessary.

It's always the volume that's the issue. Obviously no one would care about a SINGLE cardboard, but there's a whole world out there beside you, dude. Around 8 billion other people, specifically.
Apple sold 230 million iPhones last year explicitly designed to obsolete the millions they sold the year prior.

The take that paper documentation is worse for the environment than the smartphone paradigm is one of the hottest I've ever read on this website.

That "single" cardboard is around 70 MILLION motherboards. EACH AND EVERY YEAR. That's 70 million "single" cardboard every year you'll probably use once in your life for 2 minuts, then throw it away. And we've only touched motherboard pinout cardboards yet. Can you imagine how much junk the entirety of humanity produces with all the cr@p we're consuming? Most of which is completely unnecessary. In this case, because you're too lazy to point your camera at a QR code and check the pinout on your phone. You NEED that printed on hard paper, otherwise it just won't work for you.

The pins and jumpers thing is the only thing people use in a box. You want to talk about volume, get rid if the other 100 pages of garbage but keep the pin outs. Looking it up on your phone is a pain, the PDFs are never phone friendly and as someone who builds enough computers to have to use my phone, you have to make sure you have the right model number or else you can brick it.

You want to talk about 70 million million motherboards? Dont put the other 100 pages in and reduce it by 6.9 billion pages. Or, like I said, print it on the inside of the box.

:facepalm: So, you are a first-time PC builder, with no computer and where are you supposed to get the manual?

Yeah, I read the article. Maybe my scenario is unlikely in this day and age, but I bet that some people will skip MSI as a motherboard choice because of this.

All this in an effort to go green. I have to wonder, though, how green this option really is since a significant number of users will have to consume power, and thus, carbon to view the manual.🤷‍♂️

Personally, I've never thrown away a motherboard manual. Never. If I have questions, it is the first place I look.

I wonder what not printing manuals vs the electricity needing produced for the hosting farm that will host the digital versions of these manuals? And HOW that electricity is being produced, ie. coal, nuclear, water, wind, hamsters on wheels? Sure save a few trees, but offset that "green-ness" by using a crapton of electricity produced in ways that are worse for the environment than cutting a few trees and making paper.

I wonder what not printing manuals vs the electricity needing produced for the hosting farm that will host the digital versions of these manuals? And HOW that electricity is being produced, ie. coal, nuclear, water, wind, hamsters on wheels? Sure save a few trees, but offset that "green-ness" by using a crapton of electricity produced in ways that are worse for the environment than cutting a few trees and making paper.

But imagine if every company does this.

Back