TechSpot

MSI unveils notebook with E-450 APU, new X460 ultraportables

By Matthew
Aug 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. MSI has unveiled a new value-minded notebook for media fiends. Billed as a "high-end multimedia machine," the CR430 is packing fresh Fusion silicon from AMD, courtesy of the company's E-450…

Read the whole story

2. I never realized that the E-350 was more powerful than the Intel Atom, not to mention the GPU being better than Nvidia Ion; all for cheaper? I'm confused now.

3. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,593   +352

4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

Next Atom refresh is due sometime next year I think?

5. I don't understand why does the AMD lappy height need to be 28mm, that's nearly 3cm. Do vendors always make AMD laptops unattractive with their dimensions? No wonder noone buys their products.

6. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 992   +31

I'm looking forward to reviews of the E-450. Seeing press releases mentioning it is a good step forward.

7. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,601   +110

From a lot of reading on the E-350, it doesn't beat the Atom in all benchmarks, but the graphics capability does thump the Atom. Will be looking into the 450 now with interest, although was looking for a netbook with max 11" display for my girlfriend, they might not pair that 450 with that small a screen...

8. I'm using an Asus Laptop with APU E-350. I play Stalker SoC with low graphic setting (+ native 720p display resolution) with only little hiccups...

To play a fullHD video (compressed like .mkv .mp4 & others h264 format capable), only ATI AVIVO codec can do the job... other codec won't work.

9. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,601   +110

Thanks for the feedback Guest. Might help me make a decision on a netbook ;)

10. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 992   +31

A dual core Atom might beat an E-350 in some multithreaded benchmarks where hyperthreading makes a difference, but for practical use the faster single threaded performance of the E-350 is better for everyday work (browsing, word processing, etc.).

I'm sure the E-450 will crop up in many 11.6" laptops, which is where the E-350 is most successful.

11. bakape

bakape TS Enthusiast Posts: 123

Have the same laptop. I found that Media Player - Home Cinema does the job best with .mkv files. It's internal .H264 decoder squeezes most out of the graphics and plays 1080p smoothly. Not that you'd want 1080 on screen slightly larger than 720 ;)

As for games, League of Legends, which I play most, on above the lowest settings stays at 25-30+ fps.

Don't be misinformed. 28 nm is the manufacturing process used not the laptop's thickness. >.>

12. but what about msi fiability?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.