TechSpot

MSI X-Slim X340 Notebook Review

By Julio Franco
Nov 25, 2009
Post New Reply
  1. timljh

timljh TS Rookie Posts: 33

With that performance and the price tag. i will rather getting myself a netbook instead.

2. harby

harby TS Rookie Posts: 37

CULVs are not supposed to compete with netbooks but with ultra portable laptops. Plus, I won't get a nebtbook till they come with more than 1GB of RAM (thank Intel for that, gogo ION).

3. yorro

yorro TS Enthusiast Posts: 246

Mushy keyboard is more than enough for me to ignore it.

4. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 981   +31

Nice to see more lightweight notebooks at a low price point. It's good that the netbook vs. notebook boundary is blurring.

5. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 981   +31

BTW, regarding the Acer comparison, that notebook is 1lb heavier.

6. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

I'm concerned about the Core 2 solo. Will it actually perform well?

7. kimboy

kimboy TS Rookie Posts: 59

$600 foa a notebook seems quite fair a price to me, considering that what I do is best done with a desktop PC== mouse-dependent activities like photo-editing and movies. The "solo" part, however is a turn off.

8. kimboy

kimboy TS Rookie Posts: 59

$600 for a notebook seems quite fair a price to me, considering that what I do is best done with a desktop PC== mouse-dependent activities like photo-editing and movies. The "solo" part, however is a turn off.

9. z00lander

z00lander TS Rookie

Since I don't carry my laptop around a lot, I fail to see the fascination with lightweight, small and underpowered computers.

10. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

11. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

12. irvin09

irvin09 TS Rookie

Wow! This laptop is a beauty. A couple of years ago, I only heard of Apple Mac as the only company that manufactures slim laptops but now there is MSI X-Slim X340 Notebook that can compete with Apple computers. We're really living in a fast changing world.

13. jazboy

jazboy TS Rookie Posts: 112

Its performance is not very good compare too Netbook taking consideration of price. I will buy Netbook rather than this. Its just my opinion about this notebook.

14. Docnoq

Docnoq TS Rookie Posts: 141

Hahaha, that article cracked me up. Apple is just so.. I don't even know what to label them anymore. That is just ridiculous, though. It just goes to show how silly big companies can be with their warranty policy. My HP dv6308nr, which is a little more than 2 years old, just broke a few weeks ago due to known problems with this specific model (and similar models), so I called HP about fixing it and they want to charge me a "discounted" $259 (as opposed to $400) since my laptop is broken due to a problem with the design of this model. Ridiculous.

15. sky_could_fall

sky_could_fall TS Rookie Posts: 17

I don`t like these kind of finish, piano black, or what they call it. You`ll have to use samo cloth all the time.

16. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

Core 2 SOLO? Lame...I wish we could get out of the single core era

17. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

As much as I love to see extended batteries, i could never get into these underpowered laptops and netbooks. I guess I'm just a power user but I couldn't settle for anything under 4GB RAM an at least 2.0 GHz dual core.

18. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

This isnt bad but there are far better performers for the samemoney imo anyways

19. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 927   +104

Well thats very disappointing, it's marketed as a ultra slim with extended battery life. However thats with the 8 cell battery that adds weight and thickness which kinda kills the ultra light and slimness of the notebook. Not that I care really because I don't see the point in buying something that weights 3 pounds and can't do anything other than word processing and browsing the internet, I'll keep my 8 pound Gateway with its 2 hour battery life.

20. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 446

Eh, just another slim top among a multitude of tops.

21. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD TS Enthusiast Posts: 104

For office use it would be OK but let's face it's not that light and glossy looks, there's always something to clean...

22. LazyNinja

LazyNinja TS Rookie Posts: 16

I can't believe we're getting into the 8 + hour battery range on laptops these days. If my old Toshiba M100 gets more than two hours on a charge I'm impressed . . .

I wish I had a slim laptop back when I was in college. I was in a program that required everyone to have their own laptop and it was annoying lugging it and it's power brick around.

23. Serag

Serag TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

LazyNinja you kinda said what I wanted to say :D
    except that I have an Aspire One...but the mushy keyboard and no optical drive would keep me away if I'm to get one slim notebook now

24. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,072   +100

They just used this notebook to make the acer one look good. All i found out from that review is that it looks a bit better. I wonder if any who reads that review will even think of buying it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.