MSI X-Slim X360 is under 1" thick, packs ULV Core i5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

The notebook market is now brimming with Intel Arrandale-based machines, and the latest is from MSI. First teased at CES, the company's new X-Slim X360 is the first to use a low-voltage Core i5 processor.

The dual-core i5-520UM features a 1.06GHz base speed with a maximum Turbo Boost frequency of 1.86GHz, and Hyper-Threading technology. The X-Slim X360 would be a great solution for folks on the run, weighing a mere 3.09 pounds, measuring less than an inch thick, and boasting up to nine hours of battery life.

That said, it doesn't skimp on functionality, carrying a 13-inch 1,366x768 display, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, up to 500GB of storage, HDMI and VGA-out, a pair of USB 2.0 ports, Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, an SD/MCC card reader, and a 1.3-megapixel webcam. The notebook can be configured with either a four or eight-cell battery, and it runs Windows 7 Home Premium.

Pricing and availability is still unknown, but MSI should spill the beans soon enough.

Permalink to story.

hello ...

oh no, no smartphone please LOL.
I really like the Motherboard & some GFX cards from MSI, the recent netbooks seem OK, now this notebook is interesting.

time will tell

cheers!

Is MSI a reliable laptop brand? This one looks nice, makes me think that its more powerful than my current desktop.

What is the best laptop brand?

No way... if u need a notebook take it with 6 cell or more. Experience say : no compromise. This Msi is very promising.

hello ...

oh no, no smartphone please LOL.
I really like the Motherboard & some GFX cards from MSI, the recent netbooks seem OK, now this notebook is interesting.

time will tell

cheers!

The smartphone market is the most profitable at this moment.
I see no reasons why MSI would not want a piece of it.
Asus started to make smartphones, Toshiba started to make smartphones, Gigabyte started to make smartphones, Lg started to make smartphones; I see no reasons why shouldn't MSI also enter a profitable market.

My second motherboard was a MSI and I was very satisfied with it, until I burned it :D at my own fault.

that is a sweet system, and its 3lbs wow. asus, msi, acer, are getting there act together, they are building some sweet pc's

I would like to see more laptops using SSD's Because you get more battery life and a fast system. If I was looking for a laptop I would want an SSD not a hard drive because mostly what you do is surfing the web and applications like excel, so this would make the system faster.. more responsive and faster boot ups

this machine looks amazing... specs look very good for a netbook. i wonder how much it will cost though?

I was thinking the same rufio, my prediction (based on market price: hp mini 311 with similar specs would be around 600-forward,) Wondering how much will they sell it at...

I'd say closer to $700 with these specs. MSI isn't one of those "style-oriented" brands and it's not very well known, so they're not like Sony, being able to charge hefty premiums of $800 and beyond. My magic price point is $750 for this one. I'm planning to buy a 13" ultraportable sometime in the next few points. If it's a lot higher than that, no buy.

MSI is in news again! great work! but i think they should also have included a GPU! cuz many apps and games today require it! anyways keep moving! BEST OF LUCK!

Looks like a nice laptop. I wonder how fast that low voltage Core i5 CPU is. I have a Core Solo running at 1.4GHz right now and it's fine for day to day work, but I find it lacking for anything more intensive like video encoding. This Core i5 might be a good alternative for my next laptop. What I'd like to know is how long the laptop runs on one battery charge.

I remember when tha mac bookAir came out i could not belive how its slim to power ratio was ... now these laptop keep getting smaller and smaller , faster and faster.

Im simply amazed

EduardsN said:
I would like to see more laptops using SSD's Because you get more battery life and a fast system. If I was looking for a laptop I would want an SSD not a hard drive because mostly what you do is surfing the web and applications like excel, so this would make the system faster.. more responsive and faster boot ups

The SSD really does almost nothing for your battery life. It is only a fraction of the system power usage, so doesn't make much of a difference. That and most OEM bundled SSDs are junk at this point. They are still probably better then any regular HD in terms of speed, but I really wish there was more transparency in the parts that you get as there are only a handfull of SSDs that are worth spending money on.

MSI makes great products. I purchased an MSI Wind U100 netbook in November 08. The price was right, and I figured if it would break, I wouldn't be out a lot of money. Sure enough, over the past year that netbook has been dropped numerous times, stuffed in and out of book bags, but still runs great.

I was so happy with its performance, I very recently picked up an MSI CR620 i5 laptop. TBH, I was waiting for the model in this article, but couldn't hold out any longer. The CR620 runs great and weighs in at a hair over 5 pounds. My review is on NewEgg if you're interested.

To those wondering about the brand, I have had no problems with them as of yet. It's amazing what they can produce for the price. I could have spent more for a laptop, but why? The Dell's, HP's, and Compaq's have all given me problems in the past. MSI ships a good product without much bloatware and for a much lower price.

why does everything have to run windows? compared to linux it is sooo over valued... windows should be either free or cost between $5 and $20 per license like shareware... after all it is just about as good as some shareware I have seen...

waterytowers said:
why does everything have to run windows? compared to linux it is sooo over valued... windows should be either free or cost between $5 and $20 per license like shareware... after all it is just about as good as some shareware I have seen...

For OEM builds it doesn't add that much to the price. I still like getting my machines with windows, and then i can dual boot or Visualize if needed.

yeah sweet system this must be around $600 - $700 for sure. I like the way its design very small an powerful!

That said, it doesn't skimp on functionality, carrying a 13-inch 1,366x768 display, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, up to 500GB of storage, HDMI and VGA-out, a pair of USB 2.0 ports, Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, an SD/MCC card reader, and a 1.3-megapixel webcam. Not so shabby indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back