msiexec.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that there is a new application listed in my McAfee Personal Firewall Internet Applications:
msiexec.exe, I searched and see that it is used to install new programs that use MSI but I don't recall trying to install anything lately so I blocked it! Should I leave it blocked, allow it outbound only access or allow it full access??? Is it safe too give it full access??
Have WinME, IE, McAFee virus scan and firewall, all updates done, virus scan negative.
Thanks, Kathy
:confused:

Blocking it should cause no problems, but it is part of the new Windows Installer system. Hence, DO NOT delete it.

I can't see why it would need 'net access, but if anything odd happens with installers, let it back again.

If you get something like Iarsn's Taskinfo you can see what command flags were called to launch msiexec and can figure out what is attempting to install.

Many MS patches use MSIExec to load/launch, and many of the MAJOR patches (DirectX, Service Packs, IE, Office Service Packs, etc.) run an initial MSI and then download necessary components. For this reason, I'd want to allow access outbound and inbound, but at the same time, you have a good reason to be concerned if you don't recall having run any patches and/or install programs lately.

Can you give us any more detail about what McAffee shows about MSIExec? maybe where it is tryign to direct traffic to, or what the full command name is?

PS- Welcome to Techspot!!!:wave:

The MS Installer probably requests net access to find updates during an installation.

I imagine the MSI service is also used for "Active Installs", which are done through websites.

These two things may explain why MSIEXEC wants to connect to a cabin located in a small village to the right of Siberia from time to time.

Hi Goalie and all,
I checked and I did install Window Update in July, so that may be why it came up in the McAfee new apps list.
The full path to it is:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msiexec.exeWhen I try to open it, I get:
WINDOWS INSTALLER
Incorrecyt command line parameters.
Windows Instsaller V2.00.2600.2
copyright microsoft Corp 2000

I'm leaving access blocked at this point unless you tell me that's a bad idea! Thanks for all your help.
Kathy:)

Well, it is a bad idea if you want to be able to install DirectX, MediaPlayer, etc that use stub-and-download installers.

Running it without paramaters will always give an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back