TechSpot

MSN ISP log-in error: Unable to connect to sign-in server

By chaosed
Feb 11, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When trying to dial in to MSN, I receive the following error msg:

"We are unable to connect to our sign-in server. Please check that your computer's date and time are set correctly, because this is needed to transmit your password."

The machine stays connected and I am able to browse, but cannot access email.

Obviously I checked and verified the date and time are correct. There was a significant spyware infection on the machine that I fixed, but the problem pre-dated removing the spyware. The only other issue I saw was the computer had a corrupted copy of Norton AV 2000 installed (this is a win98 machine).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  2. chaosed

chaosed TS Rookie Topic Starter

error code

The error code listed is 25.
  3. Lunatic

Lunatic TS Rookie Posts: 66

Did you check the date in the bios?

When I got that error message it was the bios date that was wrong.
  4. chaosed

chaosed TS Rookie Topic Starter

Not bios issue

I checked the bios and it was fine...through process of elimination I learned that this error is caused by IE becoming corrupted, so if you ever get this problem you need to restore/revert/or reinstall IE, then reinstall MSN to get things back up and running.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.