TechSpot

MSVCR80.dll missing BSOD

By Evabraun2000
Dec 3, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Alright working on my friends custom built pc.

Has the i7-950, intel gts 360, 9 gigs ddr3, 1TB harddrive.
    Vista Home Premium.

But he installed AVG and it said he needed to reboot to finish install or update it but now he gets a blue screen. And it says:

STOP: C0000135 {Unable To Locate Component}
    This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

And I know there are programs to fix this paticular MSVCR80.dll but you have to be able to get into your system to download a fixer but I can't.

I know you can use recovery disks but looking for another way. Any suggestions and will not load in safe mode or anything always blue screen.

2. Computerpete

Computerpete TS Rookie Posts: 120

what you need need something like knoppix, UBCD4WIN or something like that a live cd to boot from to get into windows.

3. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

A bit of googling seems to indicate that latest AVG update has caused the same problem to many other people

1) Take a look at this thread. Someone proposed a solution. You can try it (at own risk. don't know personally if it'll work or not)

2) You can boot into Knoppix to access the drive/delete files. See How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot

/* Edit */
    Oh. Also look at this TechSpot link AVG Free 2011 update pulled, crashing Windows 7 systems . It includes instructions from AVG that might also apply

4. Evabraun2000

Evabraun2000 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 37

thanks guys if anyone else wants to fix this the link for the AVG Free 2011 update pulled, crashing Windows 7 systems also works on Vista as well for anyone else that comes across this...very easy

5. Eduardo Jimenez

Eduardo Jimenez TS Rookie

cool thanks