Multi-channel music computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all. I built a computer specifically to operate my modest home studio 9 years ago. It smoked at that time with Win2K, 1 Gig (!) of RAM and LVD SCSI 10,000 RPM drives. It cost a bundle to build and has lasted me until the lightning hit it a few weeks ago. Also blasted was my Echo Layla 24/96 audio interface and my Cubase 5.0 USB dongle. Data was fortunately backed up.

I wish to build a new box from the ground up. The insurance company paid me $2500 for the fried machine. I wish to spend this money building another box that will last me for a long while as well. Throughput is key of course as is graphics speed, 64 bit architecture and boatloads of RAM. I have a NewEgg order all set to place. Here 'tis:

-- ww.eddiecurrents.com/ComputerBuild/order.jpg --
(the system would not let me post a link)

I am ready to press the "place order" button. I THINK I can do away with LVD SCSI as I believe that SATA II drives (even 7200 RPM ones) will do what I need. I very seldom exceed 20 - 24 tracks at a time and if I have the math right, SATA II should do but I am having troubles locating data on actual throughput. I administer a huge database, among many other things. The data is pounded daily by hundreds of live connections as well as over the internet. I am very familiar with throughput but find that it's not much of a consideration for MOST people (gamers, power users, graphics and video designers). I really want to spend the money ONE time here and am sure there are some great ideas out there on how I can improve or even cut corners.

Cubase 5 comes with both the 32 and 64 bit versions. Soundforge and Acid also should run fine on 64 bit Vista (Windows 7 Ultimate when available). Gotcha's like sound interface software though can be a headache. What other systems are out there? I will never buy "off the rack" so who's built a mohuncher of a music editing system? I was just told I don't need an I7 and who needs 12 or 24 Gigs of RAM? Me, that's who. I have used RAM disks for years and send all my temp files and editing files to it. I'd like to set up two RAM disks, each large enough to contain the contents of a standard DVD (4.2 Gigs). With 24 Gigs total, this is no problem.

Thanks for your input in advance. I've got a few days left before I will blow this money and any help is VERY much appreciated.

LoMan@eddiecurrents.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back