Multi monitors (3+) set up, USB graphics cards, gaming and more..

By Coxis
Jun 23, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys,

I have a few questions regarding a multi monitor set up for my home PC, but first, some background info.

I bought an ATI HD 4670 (PCI-e) a few months back. It has 3 video outputs, 1x HDMI, 1x VGA and 1x DVI. I knew from the start that I wasn't going to be able to use all three outputs at once for a 3 monitor set up, which is sad. So, here goes:

1- Is there absolutely no way for me to use all 3 video outputs at once? Maybe modified drivers, something along those lines?

2- If the answer to the above question is negative, then would getting an additional PCI (not express) graphics card be an option to have more than 2 monitors running at once? The main card would be connected to a PCI-e slot.

3- Are USB graphics cards any good for gaming? I've been eyeing the HP USB Graphics adapter (I work at HP so I get a discount) as of late. Think flight sims.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13226_na/13226_na.HTML#Technical Specifications

4- How much of a toll do USB graphics cards take on CPU power?

5- Did I miss any alternative? If so please let me know. By the way, I can't afford a Matrox adapter.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.