Multi-process support in Firefox gets closer to reality

By Jos
Jul 8, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mozilla has made dramatic improvements when it comes to speed in recent times, but one feature its Firefox browser notably lacks compared to Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 8 is multi-process browsing. As we’ve mentioned before, there are several benefits of having each page or tab run in a separate process, not the least of which are performance gains when using multiple processor cores and the added stability.

Read the whole story
  2. Nirkon

Nirkon TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 243

Well seeing as Firefox has different architecture from IE and Chrome, hopefully making all the plugins and addons run in different processes won't actually slow it down.

Truthfully, at times I could have 20-40 tabs open, sometimes even more, I don't think I would want that many applications in my task manager, I wouldn't be able to see anything else.
  3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Don't fret. If it is anything like Chrome and Internet Explorer 8, they will show as a single 'process' under the "Applications" tab in task manager.

However, if you open the "processes" tab for a more detailed list of running processes, you will see each individual tab as a new process. Honestly, you really don't have much business there unless you're having problems and I personally think the performance increase will be worth that trade off.

Besides, the task manager could certainly be redesigned in the future to take this into consideration by grouping processes. I imagine a utility like that already exists as well, since there are a number of 'enhanced' task manager replacements available.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.