Multimedia Audio Controller error and the portcls.sys BSODeath

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to figure out why my dell dimension3000 has no sound...

In my device manager it shows a yellow question mark next to the multimedia audio controller. And upon startup windows sees that it recognizes the Realtek Audio A97 device and tries to install drivers.. At the end of the installation the computer goes to the Blue Screen of DEATH and says portcls.sys error. Must reboot, etc and the computer does not load driver. I've tried updating ALL Dell drivers for this computer, Ive tried handfuls of different drivers all of which do the same exact thing! The sound card is connected to the computer's motherboard as far as i know in these machines...

Do i need to just install a new separate card? Please help, i've tried everything!

Here is a list of the computer BIOS.

BIOS Date: 01/05/06
BIOS Type: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03
BIOS ID: Dell 0N6381 BIOS Version: A03
OEM Sign-On: None
Chipset: Intel 2570 rev 2
Superio: Unknown
CPU: Pentium 4 2400 Mhz MAX: 3600 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: No
BIOS ROM Size: 512K
Memory Installed: 512 MB
Memory Maximum: 4096 MB
Memory Slot 01: 256 MB
Memory Slot 02: 256 MB
ACPI Revision: 1.0

If all else fails a new card may the best if not simplest solution (btw.. i've seen some very cheap usb sound cards if you just want basic sound. try googling them)

Here's something else to try (just as a shot in dark) as i've seen anti-malware interfere with installations and cause BSODs before. (tho never for the Realtek AC97 driver but hey, is worth a try)

> Look in Add/Remove programs. Look if any Realtek sound entry there and uninstall there first then uninstall driver if found in Device Manager
> Unplug your internet connection
> Now check all your anti-malware tools (firewall, A/V, spyware check, etc) and disable any and all real time protection feature for each
> Try reinstalling Realtek

Good luck!

Try using a driver cleaner like the free version of "driver cleaner pro" to cleam out and reinstall your realtek drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back