TechSpot

Multimedia audio controller problem

By 11Phoenix
May 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Long story short, I had to do a complete reinstall of Windows XP and install the drivers manually.

I am down to one driver known as "Multimedia Audio Controller". I downloaded and installed the driver but got a message saying it did not have the Windows Logo but I proceeded anyway. This led to the blue screen of death so I started all over again.

The info I have on it is "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5...". I have run Everest HE and it lists as Intel 82801DBM ICH4-M - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]. The chipset is Intel Montara-G i852GM/i852GME, etc.

I can only run in Safe Mode so I am unable to start the windows audio in services or connect to the internet. Also, when I try to update the BIOS utility, I receive the following message: DEBUG - Create File () returns 2.

When I try to load in any mode other than Safe, the computer freezes on the Windows startup logo or on mup.sys.

My computer is an IBM Thinkpad R51 - 2888 - CTO.

Any help in getting it running again would be much appreciated.

2. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

1) Where are you finding your drivers???? i looked at the Thinkpad R51 support page HERE and i don't see a model 2880 listed?

2) Have you installed the chipset drivers? Typically, chipset drivers should be first. Then i'd do network driver. All the rest can be done later. In fact, i wouldn't even worry about audio until you can at least boot normally and get a network connection

3. 11Phoenix

11Phoenix TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry, that should have read 2888. I got the drivers from the website you linked to. The only one showing up with a yellow question mark/exclamation point is the multimedia audio controller.

4. LookinAround

Answer each question
    >Did you ever install the chipset drivers??
    > Did it ever boot into Normal mode ok or only safe mode?
    > Did the network connection work at one point after you installed the network driver? Or not worked since you reinstalled? (and you did the net driver install ok?)

List any Problem Devices
    • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
    • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
    • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
    • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

5. 11Phoenix

I did install the chipset drivers, but no, it will only boot in safe mode. It hangs up when trying to boot otherwise. I didn't have any problems installing any of the drivers, other than what I listed about the BIOS.

There is nothing listed on problem devices.

6. LookinAround

> Did you install any 3rd party software yet? (i.e. something that would start in Normal mode but not safe mode)

> Have you booted into Safe Mode with Networking?? and tried the internet connection?

> Do you have all unneeded hardware disconnected? (so no USB connected, no external hard drives, etc.)

> Did it hang the very first time you tried Normal mode??? or only after you started installing stuff in normal mode? Remember what you installed last?

That's odd as if your audio device were in Device Manager with a yellow icon, i would've expected it to appear as a Problem Device

Otherwise, i'm not really sure why your problem <confused> Sorry

7. 11Phoenix

No, I haven't installed anything except malwarebytes, but it will run in safe mode.

This is where it hangs up on the mup.sys

Yeah, made sure USB wasn't connected.

It wouldn't load in normal mode at all, so have loaded everything via USB from safe mode.

As am I... :(