Multiple blue screens in XP, all specs/dumps/tests included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, thanks in advance for your time.

I have been getting multiple blue screen errors for months now on my ASUS box, and it's so bad at times I can't even boot the computer. I built the box myself, it ran fine for a yr or so, then the bsods started and have been getting progressively worse over the past 1.5-2yrs. I have analyzed several minidump files recently (also these are attached), and windbg says it's the fault of multiple different drivers and processes (it really varies). The blue screens usually start during intensive processes (playing high res game, converting large video files, etc) and once one pops up, they will continue - at times, I've been unable to boot up the machine due to non-stop blue screens (or freezes) during the black Windows XP loading screen. If it does manage to start up after several restarts it's fine, as long as I stay away from intensive processes. Seems as if I leave it a while off, when I eventually come back it will start fine every time.

I was wondering if you guys could suggest any troubleshooting tips and help me get to the bottom of this... feel free to check the minidumps as well.

More info on my system & setup:
* ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
* AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor
* CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Memory
* OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V SLI Certified Power Supply
* EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
* SAMSUNG HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HD
* Pioneer 18X DVD±R DVD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI
* Windows XP SP3 (Up to date)

I've booted with a ramtest and found no problems on several passes. I also have performed a full scan with Mcaffee and Ad-aware with no problems/threats on either.

Thanks again for your help. (Minidump logs attached)

Do you have Daemon Tools installed ?

Please uninstall Daemon Tools if you do

Looks like Mcafee BSOD due to MFEHIDK.SYS

Also thanks for the full results scan, you just need to know how to read them now ;)

Do you have Daemon Tools installed ?

Please uninstall Daemon Tools if you do

Looks like Mcafee BSOD due to MFEHIDK.SYS

Also thanks for the full results scan, you just need to know how to read them now ;)

I do have Daemon Tools installed, actually. I do not have it running, though, during the crashes. As soon as I get home today I'll uninstall DT and see if I still get the blue screens. Thanks :)

It turns out when I got home to uninstall Daemon Tools, that I actually never did install it on this computer. I did have, however, PowerISO and UltraISO installed which are similar virtual drive softwares. I removed them, do you think they could have been the culprits?

I think I remember seeing the blue screens even before those programs were installed, though :(

Also, there was a wide range of different sources of errors apparently, after reading the minidumps... it seems strange that one program would cause such a diverse set of errors.

Yeah already burned the Memtest iso and ran it with 3 passes (as stated in the original post), and had no errors at all. Any other standard diagnostic-type tests that you recommend I try out?

Thanks again for your help man hopefully these new developments will help us figure out what the heck is going on.... :( Hopefully whatever is behind this blue screen is behind them all, despite all different sources. Several new developments now:::

1) I have uninstalled almost all of my driver-related software. This is an ongoing process but I will continue to randomly try removing more things.

2) I now get a blue screen on every "normal" startup. If I choose "Normal" mode on option screen, I get same blue screen (see info below). If I choose Either of the 2 Safe Mode options, I freeze on startup, but no blue screen. If I choose Startup with last known "good" configuration, it boots fine with no blue screens.

3) I tried messing with the memory sticks - I have 2x1GB sticks, and four slots. I moved both sticks to new slots, and tried with both, then only one of each. All 3 times same error. Though this leads me to believe it's not the RAM, I will still run a dozen or so passes overnight to be sure.

The information from the blue screen on startup (it leaves no minidump to analyze, I had to write it down):

*** An attempt was made to write to read-only memory.
*** Stop: 0X000000BE ( 0xBAA7D786, 0x0F6FB121, 0xBAD07280, 0x0000000B )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back