Multiple BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I got a new Inspiron 1545 laptop just a couple of days ago.
Its a T6400 C2D 2Ghz processor, intel 4500 chipset with integrated graphics, 4 gb ram.

I had to reinstall vista after it went into a continuous loop - configuring updates , shutting down, confiiguring updates - after some windows updates. None of the windows startup repair options worked.

Now after the reintall, I am getting a lot of BSODs..errors shown are
IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
MEMORY MANAGEMENT
REGISTRY ERROR and
PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA....most common being memory mgmt.

chkdsk shows no errors
the memory test in the startup repair shows hardware errors with a msg that I need to contact the manufacturer.

Have updated all drivers and the bios, but all that has changed is that the number of bsod instances have reduced from 10 per hr to 1 or 2.

Also in several instances the BSOD is preceded by services such as RPC, Bluetooth, wireless shutting down with the event viewer showing registry is corrupted.

Not sure what the problem is, though have a feeling its something to do with a faulty RAM.

If you want to test your RAM use memtest:

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

4GB is going to take a loooong time to diagnose all at once. You might be better off removing a stick and seeing what happens first. Actually, remove all but one stick and let the system run normally for awhile. If you get another BSOD, remove that one and swap in another... or run Memtest on that one stick. If you find that one or two sticks works fine, then you've at least narrowed it down to which one. 2GB is an over night thing, 4GB is going to take a day at least.

Have contacted Dell support, they have suggested some tests of their own. Will try those first and will do Memtest later. Thanks for the replies.

Dell is replacing my laptop!!! They did not ask too many questions either. Makes me wonder if this problem is quite common with the new model. Anyway I did not run memtest, though I did reseat the ram. Need to run the comp for a few hrs more to check if that has helped in any way. Thanks for all the help.

New laptop, old story

Got a replacement for my Dell laptop and now I am facing the same problems with the new machine.i.e multiple BSOD

The only changes I have made so far are
1. Partitioned hard disk (using MS tools)
2. Unistalled Mcafee and Installed AVG free 8.5
3. installed Mozilla Firefox
4.Installed Utorrent

I suspect that the problem is most probably linked to AVG. Would appreciate if someone could throw some light on this.

We've had a ton of people here have issues with the latest AVG. Our recommendation has been to uninstall and then use their removal tool. Make sure you use their removal tool. Is this their full security suit or antivirus only?

We've also seen a lot of people have issues with uTorrent.

After uninstalling AVG lett us know if you are still getting BSODs.

Both errors are 0xD1 and these are usually caused by faulty drivers. The driver in question is bcmw16.sys, which is a Broadcom 802.11g wireless adaptor driver.

A lot of people have issues with this driver. Update drivers from Dell for your system and see if that rectifies the problem.

Have the latest drivers from Dell (same version as in the website)...
Anyway noticed something weird...not sure if its relevant. The free space in my C: keeps reducing. Its now showing 36GB occupied (right click on C:), though when I select all files and click on properties its shows only 20 GB (pagefile, hiberfiles all included). What abt the other 16GB? and weirder is the fact that just 2 hrs ago it was showing 33GB used while total size on selecting everthing and right clicking -> properties showed the same 20GB.

Have just finished a full scan with Avira with nothing detected.

* 16 GB was because of system restore. Too many restore points got created, most because of windows updates, though I have turned off automatic updates!

Read on some sites that BSODs have been seen with Broadcom wireless cards in both Dell and HP systems, especially with DLink routers. Let me know if anyone has any idea abt this. I use a dlink wireless router as well...upgraded the firmware today. Hope that will stop the bsods..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back