Multiple BSODs on my system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a serious problem. My computer keeps crashing over, and over again. The errors it's thrown are listed below. I've googled them but am confused as to what the problem really is. All I know is I'm about to lose my mind because I can be surfing, chatting, or gaming and my PC will just crash for no reason whatsoever and most of the time it's without any warning given.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

PAGE_FAULT_NON_PAGED_AREA

BAD_POOL_CALLER

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

BAD_POOL_HEADER

I've replaced my sound card, my gfx card, and updated my BIOS so what gives? I've been told it might be my RAM, my power supply, my cpu, ore my mobo so I dunno what to do. :confused: Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

this always works for me!!!

Have you tried a reformat. It helps me out all the time, just reformat your harddrive and see what happens. A new format and clean install of your OS will do wonders. :hotbounce

Have you already tested your ram? That's the first thing you should check.

www.memtest.org

Let it run for 6 or 7 passes (takes a few hours).

If it is a hardware problem that is causing these crashes, then a simple reformat will not fix the problem, it'll just bandaid it until the hardware acts up again.

What operating system are you running? what type of memory and how much are you using? The page_Fault indicate an area of memory that is incorrectly assigned along with the IRQ error which is allocation of system resources. Depending on the Operating System you are using the things to check are different for win 98-me as opposed to win xp or 2k. This is a w2k or windows 200 error most commonly but also indicates a driver problem as well. Have you installed some new hardware and the drivers along with it? Maybe you have updated some drivers or done an update from winupdate online and the drivers are incompatible or just plain corrupt.

While researching online,(google) I keep seeing bad memory in the subject line for bad pooler error and the Pfn list error as well. Do you have some extra ram of the SAME TYPE as what's in your pc? Do you have more than one stick in the pc with the problem? If you do either change out all the ram or remove one stick at a time and see if the problem stops.

I would look at the ram first, try removing and reinstalling it, look at the gold pins and make sure no corrosion or crud is evident. Check the memory slots and ensure no dust bunnies or other foreign matter is in the slots.

If you have installed new driver of any kind, roll back the drivers or unistall them.

DO NOT FORMAT and REINSTALL as your first response. More than likely this won't help at all!!

Good luck and I will be keeping an eye on this
tekman42

As this has been happening for some time, I already reformatted to see if that would fix the problem and it didn't. I'm running XP Home w/SP2 and I have 2 GB of PC-3200 DDR400 RAM. I ran the bootup ram test from memtest.org and let it run through the full 6 tests twice and it came back error free both times. I'll try running it for a couple of hours to see what it comes up with.

PH3N0M said:
As this has been happening for some time, I already reformatted to see if that would fix the problem and it didn't. I'm running XP Home w/SP2 and I have 2 GB of PC-3200 DDR400 RAM. I ran the bootup ram test from memtest.org and let it run through the full 6 tests twice and it came back error free both times. I'll try running it for a couple of hours to see what it comes up with.
After some more researching I came across some more info

What does the entire error message display for each error.

For instance

Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
Stop: ox what?
Mtlstrm.sys-address ?

Is there more in your error messages. This points to the offending hardware or software drivers causing the problem

What mobo and bios version are you running. Since you have already reformatted then that's not the os causing the trouble unless sp2 is at fault.

I am leaning towards the hardware or drivers but most likely hardware. If you have more to the error messages then post the entire message and we'll see where it points to for ALL the Error messages you are recieving.

We'll keep on plugging at it. I'm know it's a pain but I need all the info you can provide.

Respectfully,
tekman42

Here are a couple of screenshots I saved. I hope this helps as since last night, my screen has just been freezing then going completely black. I can still hear things going on but I have no picture. I'm running a Radeon 9700 PRO which is less than a week old and the drivers are the latest available.

crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg

My PC JUST CRASHED and this is what it came up with.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

0X00000000(0X000000FF,0X00000000,0X00000000)

PH3N0M said:
Here are a couple of screenshots I saved. I hope this helps as since last night, my screen has just been freezing then going completely black. I can still hear things going on but I have no picture. I'm running a Radeon 9700 PRO which is less than a week old and the drivers are the latest available.

crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg

My PC JUST CRASHED and this is what it came up with.
Researching on google shines a light on your video card statement first. Your first screen shot indicates that this relates to a video driver! So if you installed the new video card, you may have an issue with the video card itself or more likely the drivers are not playing well in the sandbox with your O/S. If there is an older driver you can install or a driver that winxp has in it's driver cache then try to roll it back or replace with one from the web.
I know you have inet access because your still posting. So that is the first couple of things I would try.
Your second screen shot is very specific about the message as it clearly states that it is a RAM problem. Hmmm, Let's see if the video card issue resolves your problem first. The device driver error, along with the fact of a new video card and new drivers indicates all isn't well with the installation.
try removing the drivers, reinstalling them, rolling them back or replacing them with an older set for the radeon pro. Usually ATI plays fairly well with xp so you may have a bad card. Since you haven't stated what version of drivers you installed with the new card, I believe you would benefit from running a search on google about the version of drivers you currently are using and known issues. be sure to include your mobo name in the search to get feedback that is appropriate for your setup.

If need be I can do this for you if you want me to and will send me the specs. I would mobo name, version, ram type, name, manufacturer, and type ie ddr, pc2100, 2700,3200 and so on. your video card driver version, slot type 8x, or whatever your agp port is configured for. Do you have compatible hardware and drivers? Have you checked that your agp specs are correct for your card? ie... voltage in the slot and what your card requires? Let me know If any of this helped.
Respectfully,
tekman42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back