Multiple computers on one router, lag issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am usine a belkin-n router, I have 7 computers running off the one router. 2 are hardlined in the other 5 are wireless. Have been running this system for approximatly a year. Within the last 3 weeks at roughly the same time in the evening I have been experiencing a lag issue. It has kicked different comp. out of AIM chat rooms, off online games and even from msn messenger. during a couple of these episodes have run a speed check and it has checked out. went through each computer and ran virus scans, even restored a couple to original set-up. have gone so far as to shut down all but one computer and still seeing the lag issue. not all 7 computers are on typicallly at the same time usually only 3-4. Any help or ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

This can be an issue at the ISP and not directly related to your router/lan/systems.

When the dropout occurs, use a browser to access the router config page, login
and check the WAN side config -- specifically look for WHEN the lease was granted
and when it will expire.

I am usine a belkin-n router, I have 7 computers running off the one router. 2 are hardlined in the other 5 are wireless. Have been running this system for approximatly a year. Within the last 3 weeks at roughly the same time in the evening I have been experiencing a lag issue. It has kicked different comp. out of AIM chat rooms, off online games and even from msn messenger. during a couple of these episodes have run a speed check and it has checked out. went through each computer and ran virus scans, even restored a couple to original set-up. have gone so far as to shut down all but one computer and still seeing the lag issue. not all 7 computers are on typicallly at the same time usually only 3-4. Any help or ideas anyone has would be appreciated.

Shutdown all PCs
Reboot the Router (but not back to factory defaults)
Update any firmware for the Router
Modem turn it off an on
Check all CAT cabling and coax if you have a cable modem

Turn on 1 PC and makes sure you test all the prior problems out first. Before you turn on the rest. If everything okay then you can rule out the router for the root cause of your problems. If you still get these problems then it's the router acting up or needs to be replaced.

thank you for the help. followed all that was suggested. hooked one computer up also direct to the modem to check the modem. had issue so replaced the modem with a back up I had. still same issue. called my dsl provider and apparantly there is an issue in a rather large area thatthey service and it is being looked into. :( did not get to talk to a human due to volume of calls they were dealing with. they sugested before i reached a menu that if i was calling about slow or unable to conect to shut down modem, router, and computer in that order then restart in same order giving approx. 20 seconds between starting the next piece and see if that helped. helped for a short period but then lag returned. due to the fact that it seems to come around at 6:00 pm CST i would have to assume they are having a rather large issue. once again thank you all for your replies and assisstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back