TechSpot

Multiple problems with Compaq Presario SR1550NX

By Gflo
Jul 17, 2008
  1. Ive got a good old Compaq Presario SR1550NX. When i get it to run right it runs good. When i don't its a pain. I got it from a friend who said its unsalvageable but i said i wont be using it because ima rip the 200gb hdd and lightscribe Dvd burner out of it to use in a new build. so i bring it home and it boots up fine and then thinking mabey my friends an ***** it decides to freeze. so i hold the power button for 10 seconds. unplug it for a minute or 2 and plug it back in. i go through that a few times and i try to save the os(it was pirated!?)but i fail. so i install Xp home off the cd that came with my dell and it seems to be running fine now but i have had some problems which i will list.

Keyboard and/or mouse quit working or dont work
    Monitor doesn't get a signal or i get a message saying invalid sync
    Freezes at Bios screen(where you see Press f1 to... options)
    Freezes while booting
    It only shows i have 384 mb Ram(when the chip says 512)

I have flashed the bios
    unplugged for several hours(not a jumper or battery i can find)
    Reinstalled windows
    cleaned keyboard and mouse contacts
    removed all unnecessary hardware(modem, dvd drive ect.)

I do not have to save this computer but id like to turn it into a server of some sort(dns webhosting)

if anyone can help it would be nice
    Gflo

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,075   +84 Staff Member

I'd vote for a defective motherboard, given the description.

3. Gflo

Gflo TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 105

well im not gonna replace it and it seems to be running fine since i installed XP home on it

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

128Meg being used by Video card

You have multiple issues, but I would start with Memtest
    Please run Memtest for at least 7 passes (~4Hrs) for a thorough test of your Ram

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.