TechSpot

Multiple system images on small external HD (Win 7 Home Premium)

By Palex
May 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. My ext HD is 160GB; 30% (Windows 7 B&R default max size available for storing images on an ext HD) is thus 48GB, my images are ~35GB, so I can only get one image onto my ext HD. I'd like to get two (new one + most recent). How can I do that? Is there a place in the registry, for ex, where I can change 30% to 50%?

2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,348   +50

I suspect Win7 is not allowing too much space for backup simply to ensure enough room remains for normal expansion of system and data. The ideal answer is a second internal HDD (not USB attached) and use that as backup. You will possibly find the OS allows the whole drive to be used in that case.

It does seem a little odd to have such a limit on an external drive, but then nobody ever said MS was an expert systems company did they?

3. Palex

Palex TS Rookie Topic Starter

gbhall.......I agree with everything you say, but Win7 B&R cannot work with two ext HDs. One has to be designated the backup, and that's all B&R will work with (a second drive can be used for general storage, but not as part of B&R); M$ has begun to acknowledge this via their MVPs. I just don't understand why one would "hardwire" what should be a variable (30% in this case).

4. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,348   +50

Better read what I said again. I specifically said a second internal drive, not a second external. You are saying an internal drive cannot be used as a B&R drive, which (a) I rather doubt and (b) if true would make B&R a completely unacceptable application which I would not use.

There are many better alternatives, some paid, some free. I suggest you ignore MS own software, which historically and up to the present is fairly useless. Personally I use Acronis.

5. Palex

Palex TS Rookie Topic Starter

gbhall....whoops, I stand corrected...I've been so focussed on ext drives. I probably will go the route of 3rd party s/w as well. Thnx.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.