TechSpot

Multiple Unformated Partitions

By Rocket769
Mar 19, 2009
  1. I'm in the process of trying to reformat a Maxtor 500Gb SATA HD but I've run into a problem with there being two (2) unformatted / unassigned partitions that are eating up most of the drive. There are also 2 partitions (C & G that are approximately 80Gb each). I've tried deleting all the partitions but I can't seem to recover the disc space that's not already assigned and of course I can't do anything with the other 2 partitions. I recently had a virus that CA Suite quarantined and deleted and in the process destroyed my drive so I decided to start over. The drive is clean of all viruses and I just want to start new. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rob

System:
    MoBo: GigaByte EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.1)
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processor
    HD: Maxtor 500Gb SATA
    Mem: 4 Gb DDR2
    Vid: GeForce 7900GS
    DVD RW / CD RW
    Mon: ViewSonic’s VX2233wm

2. mflynn

mflynn TS Rookie Posts: 2,655

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

With the Control Panel in "Category View".......

You could also go to: Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative tools > Computer Management (Double click) >then (right pane double click)"Disc Management local" after that, right click on whatever you want to modify. Windows will remove or format any existing partitions you may have. You cannot create partitions however, (with Windows itself) without reinstalling it.

4. Rocket769

Rocket769 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank You

Thanks guys for your input/suggestions, I'll give both of these a try.

5. Rocket769

Rocket769 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank You

I can't say it enough.....thanks. I actually used a combination of the two programs and once again I have a full 500Gb drive. Thank you, Rob

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.