Music files corrupted

I recently formatted my computer and now I see about 80 percent of my music is corrupted and it won't absolutely play at all. I'm on Windows 7 ultimate, 32 bit.

I only formatted C drive and my music is kept in K drive. But when I try to play this one album in Windows Media Player, it gives me the error "Windows media player cannot access this file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored.." blah blah. There are more than just this one album that's corrupted, I know this for sure.

When I tried playing with VLC media player it says "File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "K:\Music\Music Organized\H\Hammock\Hammock - The Sleepover Series Volume 1 - 2006\05-hammock-still_point-its.mp3".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///K:/Music/Music%20Organized/H/Hammock/Hammock%20-%20The%20Sleepover%20Series%20Volume%201%20-%202006/05-hammock-still_point-its.mp3'. Check the log for details."

And itunes doesn't play it either.

What do you think the problem is? It's been this way ever since I formatted it. Can any one please help me? I'm extremely shattered to have lost all my music.

Thank you.

Try copying a music file onto the C drive and then try to play it.

What are your music files saved in?

Any software on your K drive will need to be reinstalled for it to work with the new installation of Windows 7.

"Windows media player cannot access this file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored.."

Given the error message, it may just be a problem where you no longer have access permissions to the old files after reformatting. (it can happen). Google Windows 7 Take Ownership to find directions to take ownership of these folders/files on your K drive

Given the error message, it may just be a problem where you no longer have access permissions to the old files after reformatting. (it can happen). Google Windows 7 Take Ownership to find directions to take ownership of these folders/files on your K drive

Thank you so much! This worked like a charm! You saved my life! :D

Back