TechSpot

My CD drive doesn't work right -- has a blind spot?

By bwarren97
May 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. My computer's DVD-ROM drive seems to have a blind spot. Any time I try to install a game through a disc, the installation stops around 20% due to a read error, but everything else installs just fine up to that point. It can read video DVD's just fine, as well as audio CD's. I understand that it is having a problem at this point in time because it's an old computer, but I just want to know how to fix it.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

"but I just want to know how to fix it"...
    Replace the drive

3. bwarren97

bwarren97 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 60

I know that is the best option, but the problem is I don't think a replacement drive is available for this computer. It was probably manufactured around the year 2000. I'm even running Windows XP Pro. Service Pack 2.

If there is a replacement cd drive available, then where can I take the computer to get it?

4. Tmagic650

Don't worry about the computers age. The CMOS battery might be dead if you loose the date and time setting with the computer unplugged for a while. You can still buy IDE CD/DVD drives and hard drives. If you have at least 512MB of system memory you should update XP to Service Pack 3... and save your penny's for a new computer. Any good computer service/repair shop can fix you up with the proper CD/DVD drive

5. bwarren97

Ok, I will do that. Thanks!

6. bwarren97

Wait...where do I go to get an upgrade. If I can just download it, post a link.

7. Tmagic650

Just use Windows Update. You can find it in the all programs list. If you have less than 512MB of system memory XP Service Pack 3 might not work for you