My Comp is unstable please help details inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay well the problem is my computer keeps freezing while I play games, directx games to be in specific but i havnt played any non direct x games.

Games I've played NBA live 2005, War3, CS:S, i never seem to freeze playing CS:S so it could be something else.

Another thing that could be taken note as that when I turn on my computer, my comp will freeze when it tests the memory in bios. Like it won't even say 'xxx OK' it'll just freeze. Then I restart and then it'll do it, but this is only sometimes, and ussaully always happens after I freeze during gameplay and have to restart.

I've tried formatting, and it didn't work, I've also tried uninstalling my firewire card that I installed recently which I thought was causing the problem, didn't help either. So anyone got any clues? I ran memtest on 700mb of my 1gb ram and all seems okay.

I've attached my DXDiag if you want to take a look at my system specs.

Sounds like a hardware problem. Bad memory or motherboard. Do you have more than one stick of RAM? If so try running the computer with just one. Some motherboards are picky about which brand and type of RAM you use.

i got 2 dimms of non dual channel 512 kingston ddr400
but i dont think that could be the problem because my comp's been fine for like quite a few months now.

No use only letting Memtest do 700mb you need to let it test the lot run it for at least seven passes.

Also as vegasgmc said try taking one stick of ram out.

Regards Howard :) :)

But the problem only happens when I play games, nothing else... So should it be a driver problem or something??? Because my computer is very stable, but very unstable when i play games which i find strange.

It may well be something else, but you did say that sometimes your system freezes when it`s testing the ram.

So if we can eliminate the ram then we can start thinking about other possible causes.

So, do a thorough test on all your ram just to eliminate it as a possible cause.

www.memtest.org

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back