My computer can't burn disks?

Xclusiveitalian

I have a HP Pavilion Elite m9600t CTO Desktop PC that has 2 drives. One which clearly says it can do lightscribe and burning, however, everytime I try to burn a disk using any software(I've tried a couple) it says no drive that can burn was found....

Config Flags 0x00000000
It's kinda driving me crazy to the point where I'm not sure if I'm wrong or its wrong. Here are the drives I have:

Drive 1
ATAPI DVD D DH16D3S
Device ID IDE\CDROMATAPI_DVD_D__DH16D3S____________________SH12____\4&A9C04EF&0&0.1.0
Status 0x0180200a Started
Problem 0x00000000 (0)
Service wd
Capabilities 0x00000000
Class CDROM
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Drive 2
WJWDG UBKDE3C5U3 SCSI CdRom Device
Device ID SCSI\CDROM&VEN_WJWDG&PROD_UBKDE3C5U3&REV_1.03\5&36E5972&0&000000
Status 0x0180200a Started
Problem 0x00000000 (0)
Service cdrom
Capabilities 0x00000060
Config Flags 0x00000000
Class CDROM
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)

They both appear to be ROM drives when reading the spoiler info.

The best I can tell, here is the "ATAPI DVD D DH16D3S" which is a ROM drive.
I can not find the second listing with the details provided. I'm assuming that is the drive pictured in the screenshot.

HP Pavilion Elite m9600t Desktop PC Product Specifications
Primary Optical Drive

Must select one of the following options:
  • 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA
  • Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe Technology
  • SuperMulti Blu-ray Disc burner with LightScribe Technology
There is lack of detail on HP's site as to which specific drives were used. The drive you pictured is not Blu-ray, so I'll assume the first listed drive is the one you have. The drive may need to pulled out of the case, to find out for sure which unit was used.

I'm pretty sure the send one is a basic rom drive because it says it right on the front, however, that first one clearly says it (in that screenshot) can and that's what is bothering me. Is there a driver or something I can download for it? Maybe that will fix it? I don't really want to pull it out as my current setup makes it difficult..I can take it out if I really have too though.

Hi, For a quick and accurate test of what drives you have fitted, download the free program; http://www.imgburn.com/
When you run it, it will open 2 windows, the second one does a test of what drives you have in your system and if they are capable of 'Burning' ie R/RW.
Also an easy idea to try, is to go into Device manager, and uninstall the DVD-RW drive. then reboot the pc when it will 'find' the drive again and install the driver from the driver store (part of Windows O/S.)

Last edited:
At this point, I'm thinking the writer has become disconnected or damaged. The symptoms you describe are not uncommon in DVD drives. DVD drives seem to have a lifespan manufactured in them, more so than any other computing component. You may need a replacement drive to get this working. On average a DVD burner only cost $20 from any online outlet (such as Newegg, Tigerdirect, and Amazon).

Back