"My Computer" delay - Maybe HP's fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stretch31

I have a p4 2.4 with 2gb ram.
Usb connected devices: HP 3050 Printer/scanner, mouse, keyboard

When I double-click "My Computer", the window opens but it is blank for 7-8 seconds. Then everything appears and I can click a drive. I can navigate to any drive immediately, and moving around on each drive is also fast, but if I click to navigate up or back to "my computer" I suffer the delay again. This also occurs when saving a file from a program like word. I click save as, then my computer, and I get the long delay.

If I type a drive in run (D:\) that drive shows immediately.
if I type: explorer ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}, I get the delay
if I type: explorer /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}, I get the delay

Here's what I've already tried:
1. Fresh install. I had this problem so I did a fresh install today. I didnt have the problem immediately after the fresh install, but I do after re-installing all my programs. I assume that means this is a software issue.

2. I disabled WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) service. I think this might be an HP issue. I cannot say for sure, but I've seem some rumors of this and I have an HP printer/scanner.

3. I also unchecked "Search for network folders and printers" and "Display file size" in my folder options following another similar post I found on this forum.

I created a HJT log but I cant attach it to this message, and when I paste it into the box I get an error saying I cant post links or images. I can email it if it will be helpful.

It will be useful to run these procedures... we have been seeing a lot of similar flakey problems in our part of the world:

UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

If the cause is not found here, at least you have ruled out one cause.

Really? The day of a fresh install? I'll do it, but I cant see how there is any possibility it is a virus/malware.

I created a HJT log but I cant attach it to this message, and when I paste it into the box I get an error saying I cant post links or images. I can email it if it will be helpful.
You need to Attach these (or any) logs. Use the Paperclip icon =>
attach.gif
in a new reply, to attach any logs

But I agree with raybay, do the UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

On the bright side, with all this new software my whole computer is slower, so the "my computer" delay doesnt seem so bad anymore.

bumpbumpbumpbump

Attachments

• Diagnostic Log.txt
    9.3 KB · Views: 5
You didn't see the writing in Red above?
We are waiting for you, not the other way around (bump to you!)

Maybe I missed something. I followed all 8 steps and posted my log. What are you waiting for me to do?

I installed the antivirus,
I ran ccleaner
I ran anti malware and attached log
I ran anti spyware and attached log
I updated java
I ran HJT and attached log

Maybe it looks like I didnt because I consolidated all three logs into the single file called "diagnostic"?

Maybe it looks like I didnt because I consolidated all three logs into the single file called "diagnostic"?
Um, no you didn't. (Maybe you should check)

Anyway, there's quite a few wasted posts here, it's getting ridiculous, and we are not in the Security forum either. It is a concern.

Um, no you didn't. (Maybe you should check)

Anyway, there's quite a few wasted posts here, it's getting ridiculous, and we are not in the Security forum either. It is a concern.

Wow. I really dont know what to say. Are we looking at the same file? Maybe you should look again. In fact, I'll count the lines for you so we dont "waste posts".

Line 1: Malware log.
Line 45: Spyware log.
Line 67: HJT log.

Further, my post has nothing to do with security so I dont quite get your second point.

But for the sake of simplicity, I'm going to divide the information that IS included in that single file into 3 separate files so there can be no more confusion.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Oh you're right :blush:

I know you need help here, but I must apologize
And I must sign off too - sorry. I think I'm very tired

Sorry, thanks for the "bump"

Please run HJT Scan only, and tick all the associated entry boxes listed below
Before selecting FIX, make sure any\all Internet Browsers are closed (like Internet Explorer)
By the way, most of this is not Malware, but you just have too much "slowing down" things starting with Windows
Code:
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ToolBoxFX] "C:\Program Files\HP\ToolBoxFX\bin\HPTLBXFX.exe" /enum:on /alerts:on /notifications:on /systrayIcon:on /fl:on /fr:on /appData:on
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Syncplicity] C:\Program Files\Syncplicity\Syncplicity.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [GoodSync] "C:\Program Files\GoodSync\GoodSync.exe" /min
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Outlook.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
O16 - DPF: {5AE58FCF-6F6A-49B2-B064-02492C66E3F4} (MUCatalogWebControl Class) - http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ClientControl/en/x86/MuCatalogWebControl.cab?1203571458734
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1234304189312
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1203571152625
O16 - DPF: {B015B944-7316-49AE-AC84-ACCA9379EA32} (IPCamPlugIn Control) - http://192.168.123.102:8082/IPCamPluginMJPEG.cab
O24 - Desktop Component 1: (no name) - C:\notes\todo.html
O24 - Desktop Component 2: Remember The Milk Netvibes Module - http://www.rememberthemilk.com//services/modules/netvibes/

Restart, and reply with how it seems to be running now :)

I think what you're saying is I should select to "fix" the items you listed there?

If so, does that remove them from my system? Some things, like "Desktop Component 2: Remember the Milk..." I'd like to keep if possible. Is "fix" removing them or removing any errors associated with them?

That's a reasonable question

"Fix" only removes the Windows startup shortcut entry
The program still fully resides in the computer, and can still be easily started again at any stage

If you feel the you need these programs starting with Windows, every single time you start Windows. then this issue:
"My Computer" delay - Maybe HP's fault?
No, it's actually your fault ;)

Ok. Last question before I "fix".

I want to make sure you and I are talking about the same thing. I put "my computer" in quotes because I'm specifically talking about the window that pops when I double click the my computer icon. No other window is slow. My computer as a whole is not slow. Everything works exactly like it should except when I try to browse my drives. Startup entries would affect my computer speed overall, and its boot speed, but I am happy with that performance. Spyware/Malware would also affect my computer speed overall, but I've noticed no other performance issues.

This is a single isolated instance. The ONLY time I see this delay is when I browse "my computer". Even when I get inside a drive, for example, X:\Documents I see ordinary speed, but going through "my computer" to get to drive X takes forever.

Perhaps also important, is that Start-->Run--> C:\ (or any drive letter) pops immediately. But then from that drive if I click navigate up to My Computer...I see the delay again.

So considering all that, is removing startup items still the right solution, or is this a registry error, network error, or some other type issue? The reason I suggested it was HP's fault, is b/c my printer is connected via USB and I've read that WIA (windows image acquisition) may cause "my computer" delays. However, I followed those sites and disabled the service and my problem remains.

Thanks

Well continue above (fixing what you want) as it's still worth it

But in regards to "My Computer" slowness in openining
This is usually one of the drives (or shares) listed in "My Computer"

Please list everything shown in "My Computer" Window (even a screen dump (ie PrtSC key then paste to MS Paint, then save the pic to Desktop, then upload it as an attachment, or use any free server and provide link to it)

I'd say it's something in there ;)

Wow 11 things in "My Computer"

Where to begin?

Try unplugging both CD drives (physically from the motherboard end) Just as a test
Turn on and go to "My Computer" If it opens up really quickly, then one of those drives may be faulty, or configured incorrectly (ie they should be jumpered as Cable Select on the back on the drive)

But all those other Harddrives. It's partition city, or you have a few Harddrives installed. You might want to run a drive diagnostics on them (or that one)

Wow 11 things in "My Computer"
What can I say? I'm an organization junkie!

Try unplugging both CD drives (physically from the motherboard end) Just as a test
Turn on and go to "My Computer" If it opens up really quickly, then one of those drives may be faulty, or configured incorrectly (ie they should be jumpered as Cable Select on the back on the drive)
GENIUS! I cant believe I didnt think of that. It wasnt my CD drives, but you pointed me in the right direction. My problem was that 3.5 disk drive which I can EASILY get rid of...never used it anyway. Dont know what was wrong with it, but I dont care. "My Computer" is back to its old self again! Thanks!!:grinthumb

The fault with the floppy drive could have been it was disabled in CMOS (usually press DEL on system startup, to view this area)
Or it was the drive or cable itself (more likely)

Either way, it's done, thanks for the update :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back