My computer freezes and becomes non-responsive when playing games

jamorgan8

My computer freezes when playing games. The only games I play are Minecraft and Medieval 2: Total War. Randomly while playing them, the computer will just lock up and require a hard reboot to become responsive again. It is completely random, it could happen right when I turn the game on, or after I have been playing for hours. It usually happens right when I turn it on though. I don't understand why this is happening, system specs follow:

OS -- Win 7 32bit

Graphics -- EVGA Geforce 250 1024MB PCI Express 2.0

RAM -- OCZ Platinum RAM - 4GB, 2x2GB, 1333MHz, DDR3, low voltage

MOBO -- MSI NF750-G55 Motherboard - nForce 750a SLI, ATX, Socket AM3, DDR3, Dual Channel, PCIe, HDMI

CPU -- AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition AM3 CPU HDZ955FBGMBOX - 3.20GHz, Socket AM3, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB

PSU -- Ultra LS500 Lifetime Series 500W Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-Express

I ran memtest on the RAM, it checked out, my Temperatures are typically below or right at 50 celcius....The answer to this has eluded me for weeks now.

Also, before I had the evga card, I had an XFX Geforce 250 in it, it didn't work right so I sent it back and ordered another XFX Geforce 250, thinking it might have been a bad card, when It didn't work, I tried my roommates card in my machine, it was an EVGA Geforce 250, it worked just fine, no problems. Mine is the exact same card as his and it seems to have these problems.

Are the power demands between XFX and EVGA the same?

I am also thinking drivers issues here. Try the following:

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

I'm not sure about the power demands. I don't really know how to find out.

I did what you said and tried playing Minecraft. I was able to play it for about an hour or so before the same thing that has been happening happened.

What are the temperatures like under a load, i.e. gaming, especially for your video card? Did that power supply come with the case?

By the way, 50c is 122F. And if that is idle then we need to see what the temperatures are, again, at a load. At idle you want to be at the mid to low 30s C.

The temp. is around 50c under load...

The power supply didn't come with the box. I built the computer, I'm pretty confident in my abilities to have done it without messing anything up, but at this point, I am doubting myself.

Hey, all of us who build PCs have experienced what you are experiencing now. You built yourself a very decent system.

Do you have a digital multimeter to test your power supply?

Do you have a friend or an associate that does? If not, you can get a really decent digital Craftsman for around $22. I love mine.

Believe it or not it is not difficult to use one of these and I can link you to some easy to understand resources on how to use one.

Also, how is your fan doing on your video card when gaming?

I may be able to get ahold of one when I go home over spring break.

I'm not in my apartment right now, I will check my fan when I get in.

Back