My Computer Freezes At Random

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help me out here...

I have a PC that works GREAT up until the point when it freezes RANDOMLY. When this happens I can't use the mouse or

keyboard and I have to reboot it manually by pressing reset on the tower. I updated all my drivers w/ PC Pitstop's Driver

Alert, I scanned for spyware to no avail w/ Max Secure Spyware Detecter and BitDefender, And I tried switching my RAM

sticks and restarting my PC using each one alone. None of this helped me figure out what the problem was. Then I read

online that System File Checker could help you figure out the problem, but I use SP3, w/ and the program requires windows

CD that has only SP2 on it, so I fear that if I were to run that program, I'd overwrite my SP3 files w/ my SP2 ones. That

leaves me in a dilemma because now I have no clue what the problem is, and now I'm stuck w/ a really good pc that just

freezes unexpectedly.

If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know how!

Here's my system specs...

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (5.1, Build 2600)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs) (I have two internal hard drives)
Memory: 3328MB RAM
Direct X Version: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeFORCE 8800 GT
G-Card Approx Memory: 512.0 MB

Go ahead and perform the XP repair. You will have to reinstall all the MS updates including SP3 anyway

1. test ram with memtest 86+ booted from a floppy or cd
2. test psu with a tester tool under load
3. check drivers
4. repair registry with ccleaner

Please help me out here...

I have a PC that works GREAT up until the point when it freezes RANDOMLY. When this happens I can't use the mouse or

keyboard and I have to reboot it manually by pressing reset on the tower. I updated all my drivers w/ PC Pitstop's Driver

Alert, I scanned for spyware to no avail w/ Max Secure Spyware Detecter and BitDefender, And I tried switching my RAM

sticks and restarting my PC using each one alone. None of this helped me figure out what the problem was. Then I read

online that System File Checker could help you figure out the problem, but I use SP3, w/ and the program requires windows

CD that has only SP2 on it, so I fear that if I were to run that program, I'd overwrite my SP3 files w/ my SP2 ones. That

leaves me in a dilemma because now I have no clue what the problem is, and now I'm stuck w/ a really good pc that just

freezes unexpectedly.

If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know how!

Here's my system specs...

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (5.1, Build 2600)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs) (I have two internal hard drives)
Memory: 3328MB RAM
Direct X Version: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeFORCE 8800 GT
G-Card Approx Memory: 512.0 MB

From issues that I have experienced, your problem stems from Windows Service Pack (SP3) . Can you get to your Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs, then remove the Windows SP3 install. Once you get your system stabilized, you can always go to www.support.Microsoft.com Website and download Windows SP3 again. Better yet, you can just access your Windows Update program and install SP3 from there.
By chance, have you installed any software lately that may not be fully compatable with Windows XP? Again, you might want to go back into your Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, then before you remove ANY software, click on 'more information' below the software listing for the Website of the particular software. Copy down the Website so you can access the supplier to download and reinstall the software if you don't have the physical software CD and Product/ License Key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back