My computer freezes randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario12345

well, my computer freezes randomly, usually when im playing a game, it will freez so i have no mouse movement or keyboard function and i havto manually restart my computer pressing the restart button.
it all started when i downloaded a driver for my Geforce 7300 GS and now it has been going on for almost a month and i dont know what to do. i tired rolling back my driver to the version it was before, and thats what im running now but it didnt work.

Brand and model of computer or motherboard; amount of memory installed

Could be anything at this point, so perhaps we can begin to rule out some possibilities.

You could probably start with normal Hardware tests when you get restarts or freezes as well as listing the comp spec as raybay said.
Most causes for freezes or restarts of the computer randomly are overheating, faulty RAM or damaged HDD there can be others but test these as a start.

1. Download Speedfan and note your temps. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
2. Download Memtest and to test your RAM for a minimum of 7 passes. http://www.memtest.org/
3. Download your HDD manufacturers test and run this.

For the Memtest you need a CD to burn the software to then check in BIOS that your CD Drive is first in the Boot Up order, put the CD in and let it take over it can take anything between 3-5 hours for 7 passes.

Once you've finished post back on what has happened.

Power Supply is another possible culprit.
Remove all your RAM and cards and clean the inside of your case of all the acccumulated DUST! Then put them back in.

Power Supplies don't last forever, 7300 series card is a cheap one and could also have gone bad.

well, my brand is Acer and my model is Aspire T650
i downloaded speedfan and installed it but whenever i try and open the program my screen goes black and then blue and a message comes up saying windows has encountered a critical error and must now shut down.
I have not yet tried memtest.

RAM and PSU are the likely culprits, if it's not a bad video card, how dusty was it in there?

Failing all those possibilities, Motherboard has gone bad, probably hosed Northbridge that they didn't protect with a heatsink/fan.

Every time it crashes is it when you load a program or go on a game?

Try starting your computer up and running Speedfan again, like when it hasn't been running for about an hour, and then try Monitoring the temps. Also with Speedfan you can click on the tab "S.M.A.R.T" and perform the In Depth Analysis, on the report there should be something that indicates the normal min and max temps of your HDD. Then get a can of compressed air and clear out any dust like Badfinger suggested.

And again post back with your progress.

well, like 2 weeks ago i cleaned ALL the dust out, with compressed air, and nothing helped, iv heard from some people it might be my graphics card gone bad, but i really hope it isnt the motherboard, after all , it all started when i updated my graphics card. i know reinstalled speedfan , seems to be working perfectly now, but SMART feature isnt working, i have no Hard disk to choose from. its also showing i only have one fan running at 1055 rpms, but i know i have 2 and then one on my video card aswell

sorry, to answer your question woody, it crashes usualy when im playing a game, for example i could be playing world of warcraft and itle jsut freez randomly, it has only once crashed outside of any program. And if im litsening to music the sound will go into a studer and remain like that untill i shut it off.

Yeah sometimes SpeedFan doesn't detect things properly it doesn't detect any fans in mine but detects the HDD. Also i think the HDD must be SMART enabled.

If its normally crashing in games and music then there might well be something wrong with your Graphics Card. You could try removing the Graphics card from the computer if possible and then running the game in low graphics settings, the computer will compensate for the Graphics Card not being in by allocating RAM and CPU resources as Graphics.

If that RAM was detected by going into "My Computer" then right clicking and going on "Properties" then that is the RAM that the system is using.

Was your compressed air Canned Air, or from a compressor or tank.
Compressed air is one major source of serious damage because it generates a great deal of static electricity... the swirling dust and hair then transmit this static to ruin various parts of the computer... usually for good.

i used a little compressor , it was not that strong i dont think much stronger then canner air. i only did this because my computer was freezing befor it, not else has gone wrong so i doubt it was the air.

Never heard of the Static thing with the Compressed Air if i use it it would be when the computer has been turned off for about a hour and unplugged and I never had a problem.

Really doubt it would be a virus, i think it is near enough a dead cert that its a Hardware problem.
Have you tried removing the Graphics Card and trying the Game on low Graphics settings?

It doesn't take much compressed air to ruin a motherboard. We have seen quite a many of them over the years... a little compressed air, packed with dust, hair, and other strange particles, swirling around generates a great deal of static electricity. One little spark, totally invisable, can ruin a motherboard faster than you can count to three. Dead boards. Nobody knows why, until you have seen the demos from the physics department, or film the same action in the dark with good sensors.

People laugh at this all the time, but it makes a lot of technicians a living.

Good luck. Hope it is not the static electricity, but everything points to it.

Keep that on your list of possible problems when nothing else works.

This compressed air thing is strong enough to start a fire, too.
Now you know why every can of canned air has difluoroethane gas, or other static or spark supressant. It is the law, in fact. In the wrong place, it can cause a dust explosion. Automotive shops start fires and explosions with a little compressor air. Kills people sometimes.
Compressed air is not harmless, Woody1191. It is dangerous as heck for humans. Mighty dang dangerous for chips, old mosfets, electronic tubes, any electronic device you can imagine.

When the damage is done, there is no visible sign that any part was zapped.

Almost scary, and sure as hell dangerous. You can have a mini-grain elevator explosion. Dust is as combustable as gasoline in the right conditions... And you can almost never see the spark or the static electricity that swirls up to zap a computer.

I am sure you won't believe me, until you have seen it for yourself... but keep it in mind.

There is a good chance that computer will never work again without a replacement of key, and expensive, parts.

Of course it can be anything else, but nobody knows yet.

I will believe you anyway your a Electrical Engineer i ain't, you've seen the damage i have to believe your knowledge on it thats the only way i'll learn from knowing peoples experiences on something and seeing it myself, only just started to learn about comps in college so a long way to getting somewhere in the IT Industry yet.

i really do beleive u about the static electricity thing, but as i said befor, i have had this problem before i cleaned my dust, and after i cleaned my dust nothing has changed, so i dont think i damaged it at all during the dusting process,

i have no yet tried removing ym graphics card, i will tho. then ill report back what has happend.

i also really want to thank everyone who has been posting and helping me out.

I've also been having the same problem on my pc since I built it 4 months ago. Finally got tired of having to restart it in the middle of a movie or a game, so I got into figuring it out. Tried cleaning the inside of the case and removing all hardware to the bone and nothing worked. Finally I tried to switch my video from my GeForce 7300 GS to the onboard (stock) video, and it hasn't done it since. My new video card is in the mail and I don't suspect any problems happening like that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back