My computer freezes whenever I copy

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone can help me troubleshoot this issue, it would be much appreciated.

Whenever I copy data, large or small, from one drive to another whether the drive is internal (C: D: E: etc) or external (USB Flash drive, Ipod) my computer freezes up.

Apparently my IDE controller has died, but only my C: drive is an IDE drive and all other internal drives are SATA. Also there are no memory issues, (memtest ran 10 times and produced no errors.)

I don't recieve any errors when I copy files from my laptop to my desktop over the network or via something like IRC.

When I say my computer freezes I mean it completly freezes, and doesn't restart. I have to power it off and power it back on to get it to work again.

Apparently my IDE controller has died, but only my C: drive is an IDE drive
So it hasn't died then :confused:

Confirm all your Computer's (or Motherboard's) drivers are up to date from your manufacture's support page.

Also do this:

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer
  • Open My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
  • Click Properties, and then click Tools.
  • Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed
Use one of the following procedures:
  • • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
  • • (tick) To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box.
  • • To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Wait until Chkdsk finishes Checking / Repairing any faults
Windows will then either restart your computer or continue loading Normally.

removed quote

Okay it hasn't died yet, but apparently it has been "failing".

I've run chkdsk numerous ties already with no problems reported.

I'll try ccleaner.

i've run the detailed/long/advanced diagnostic seagate and western digital tests on all 4 of my drives a few times over the past few days and all tests have passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back