my computer gives me an error message everytime i try to pkay oblivion

Status
Not open for further replies.
my sons computer gives the same "failed to initialize renderer" message every time he starts oblivion. we have just put in a new ati radeon 9550 videocard and installed the drivers so he could play it. it is getting quite frustrating as we both have put money and loads of time into the computer. we removed oblivion and the drivers for the card and are now in the process of reinstalling them to see if it will help. any advice would be greatly appreciated so please respond before i go insane

2.98G processor.
1G ram
Asus motherboard w/on board video (not used)
Also tried to NIVIDIA GeForce3 ti 200 (128)

Hi there.
I had a look at the Bethesda Softworks site and it says:
The message, "failed to initialize renderer" usually indicates that you do not have supported video card required for the game. Make sure you have one of these supported cards:

Supported Video Card Chipsets:

* ATI X1900 series
* ATI X1800 series
* ATI X1600 series
* ATI X1300 series
* ATI X850 series
* ATI x800 series
* ATI x700 series
* ATI x600 series
* ATI Radeon 9800 series
* ATI Radeon 9700 series
* ATI Radeon 9600 series
* ATI Radeon 9500 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
* NVIDIA GeForce FX series

If you have one of these cards, make sure you have the latest drivers installed.

Can you verify that your son has one of these cards?? If not you may need to get a new one I suppose, BUT I'M NOT SURE. Maybe someone else can help with this!
Cheers
Allan

I read that list and the 9500 series does seem to support the game, however on the bottom of the pole sort a speak, which means its "playable" at best. I would 1st load the new card install drivers, then update the cards drivers because the 9500 has been out now some time and ati has made updates, then install a fresh game of oblivion. lastly, if it will let you in the game, update the game patches

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back