My computer hangs when I connect external hard disk?

By rchopra
Dec 30, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I have a WD 456 GB hard disk, which I have been using since Feb'10. But now when I connect it to my USB port (Laptop Dell D630) , the "My Comp" hangs and I have to remove the disk. i have tried to change the wire of the HD but no effect.

The hard disk gets ON and the LED on the hard disk blinks like normal.

Please do suggest any possible solutions ..

And also suggest some data recovery software that works good.

Cheers

Rohit Chopra
  2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Does the disk have an external power source, or is it just powered through USB?

Also, have you tried turning the laptop off, connecting the drive, and then turning the laptop on?

If the above does not work, test it on another computer, both with plugging it in while the computer is on, and if that does not work, plugging it in while off and turning it on.
  3. coolermaster

coolermaster Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

rchopra, this is a possible sign of a failing external drive.

Run hard drive diagnostics on drive.
  4. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,366   +167

In addition to above possibilities, some additional tips/tricks to check/try

> Most important: Have you tried using the drive on a different computer???
    > Also remove the battery AND unplug laptop from AC socket and leave laptop overnight like that. Then try again in the morning
    > Also, does USB drive have its own AC power? Power it off. Plug in USB in first. Then turn drive back on

/* edit */
    Also see if this might help How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers. Before talking data recovery, you should see if drive works on any other computer.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.