My computer has stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

spica2501

It started yesterday. My I was browsing the internet and listening to music when the screen went black and the sound started looping. I did a hard shutdown of my computer. When I started my computer back up the fans and LEDs turned on, and I could hear the hard drive spinning, but neither my monitor nor my speakers made any indication that my computer was booting up. When I pressed the power button to force my computer to shut down, it did so immediately, rather than waiting until I have held the power button down for a moment like it usually does.

I called up one of my friends who is good with computers and asked him to help me figure out what is wrong. He had me remove the RAM and turn my computer on so we could use the beep-code to determine if it was a case of faulty RAM, but there was no beep. Closer inspection revealed that not only was there no internal speaker plugged into the motherboard, but my computer's case had no wire that would indicate that it even has an internal speaker.

That being said, I would be very appreciative if someone could give me some advice on how to either get my computer running or at least diagnose what has broken.

My computer is custom rig that I built this past holiday season.

Case: Antec 300
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
Motherboard: Asus P5Q SE Plus
RAM: G.Skill 4 GB
Graphics Card: PowerColor PCS+ HD 4850 (an ATI Radeon)
Hard Drive: Samsung 3.5" HDD 500 GB
Power Supply: Case Gears Eco-Element 650W High Efficiency PSU

One last thing. My monitor is not the problem. When I turn it on without the CPU connected it brings up the color test as usual.

Does it post? You said your monitor brings up a color test... does it show anything else or does it go black or freeze at that screen?

check your power supply like mailpup said, also test your hard drive if you can by popping in a different one and trying to run your OS disks.... but it almost sounds like a bad motherboard... if i were you i would take it to your local best buy and have geek squad run a diagnostic scan...

Unfortunately my previous computer was a Dell, so none of its parts can be used to test my current computer. Looks like I'll have to take it into the shop.

I was able to test to see if the monitor was the problem using the monitor from my sisters old computer, and unfortunately it was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back