My computer is randomly crashing during gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
when ever i am playing a game the computer seems to lock up after a few mins of of playing it happens even if i have the games to lowest settings possibly ... Here is my Rig set up ...

Manufacturer:
Dell Inc.
Processor:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory:
2046MB RAM
Hard Drive:
154 GB
Video Card:ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series
Monitor:
Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card: SigmaTel Audio
Speakers/Headphones:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514)

Everything is up to date an there isnt any Registry Errors ive cleaned them out an there isnt any virus's , the computer isnt over heating i have taken all of the fans out ... an cleaned them an plugged them back in ... only running 2046 mbs of ram ... could that be the issue?

2 gigs of RAM with XP is the preferred amount and unless it is corrupted that won't cause your issues.

1. Are you getting any Blue Screens of Death (BSOD)?

2. Have you gone to Dell's website, found your exact model and updated the video card drivers?

nope not getting any blue screen it just freezes an doesnt do anything ... it sounds like the sound goes on loop with 4sec intervails broken record... an I have gone to dells site an updated my drivers an still hasnt helped

Ive had 2 other sticks of Ram ... but if i put either of the 2 others in ... the computer doesnt even start ... cause i believe the sticks are bad ...

Does this locking up occur at any other time, doing any other thing, i.e. surfing the net, listening to music, Excell, etc.?

I had the same problem with surfing the web and found that if I first enable "Start without Add-ons" that issue has ceased. (Right click the icon before logging on).

As for gaming try the following:

A. You could be dealing with a heat issue. Open up the side panel and check your air flow and check all fans especially your video card fan.

B. Get rid of the dust (if there is any). Dust is nature's blanket.

C. If you can save your video card drivers to your desk top try the following:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back