My computer is showing a partition that doesn't exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

piklemeup

A few weeks ago a non-existant partition has been showing up under "hard disk drives" on my computer. I have 3 sata drives in my computer (plus a dvd drive), and none of formatted to have partitions. This extra partition that is showing up is named "Local Disk Q:"
In the properties menu, it says the drive is 0 bytes in size. I've tried to format it and all that, but it says I don't have sufficient permissions. The disk management tool doesn't show it at all. It isn't causing problems as far as I know, but it'd be nice to know what it is doing, and why.
I'm running Windows 7 pro.

Have you found a solution? I got the same problem and can't find a solution. I have Daemon Tools installed but the only device Daemon Tools created was G:, the one that doesn't really exist is also called Q:

Have you found a solution? I got the same problem and can't find a solution. I have Daemon Tools installed but the only device Daemon Tools created was G:, the one that doesn't really exist is also called Q:

What make/model computer do you have?

How large is the partition and is it formatted NTFS or FAT?

As it's quite common for system suppliers like HP and Dell to include recovery and/or diagnostic partitions on the drive (altho they're typically not assigned a drive letter - as you state yours is Q?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back