My computer is telling me I do not have a graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelseyKillgasm

Hello!
About half a year ago, I had Sims 2 installed on my computer but decided that it took up too much space so I uninstalled it. On the exact same computer I had then, I reinstalled it today, but got a message that I did not have Directx 9.0c and that I could not play the game. When I tried to resolve the issue by looking for what graphics card I have by directx diagnostic tool, it displays :
Name:
Manufacturer: n/a
Card Type: n/a
Approx. Total Memory: n/a
Current Display Mode: 1024x768 (32 bit) (1 Hz)
Monitor:
What should I do? I must have a graphics card, mustn't I?

Help is much appreciated! Thanks!
Kelsey

I installed them all but when I launched NVIDIA I got the message:
The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. The setup will now exit.

What now? :/

You need to install the standard, motherboard or your computer's, drivers first

Go back to the drivers thread link above, select your computer, and install all the drivers
If your computer (or motherboard) is not in the list, you may need to Google the drivers

I went to Dell, entered my service tag and downloaded them all but when i go to install them the same NVIDIA message comes up and the same message comes up for the other one.

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm determined to fix it.

1. Click here to download file devcon.exe. When prompted for folder, enter C:\devcon click Unzip button
=> Copy file C:\devcon\I386\devcon.exe to folder C:\Windows\system32 (this is the 32bit version)

2. Download the attachment DevQuery.txt
=> Save to Desktop. Change file extension to .bat so it's now DevQuery.bat
=> Double click DevQuery.bat. Will collect data and create file DevQueryData.txt on your Desktop

Then just past the file back to me so i can look.

Done and dusted!

Now all I do is... paste it back here??

NO!
It's too large a file to paste. Please click paper clip icon to attach it. to next post (paper clip icon is on Go Avanced post screen

/* EDIT */
Do you double click DevQuery.bat. when done will place file DevQueryData.txt on your Desktop. Attach DevQueryData.txt to your post so i can then see it

Go into Device Manager, you got Windows XP or Vista ?

Then check display adapters what's there in the list, anything.

What graphics card do you have in your computer.

Alright so!
Sorry it's been such a while since I last replied by the way ^__^

Is OK. Looked at the file and Woops! :blush:
Sorry, could you delete the old .txt and .bat files?
Then download DevQueryDisplay.txt attached, rename DevQueryDisplay.bat, try again..
Curious now to see

Attachments

• DevQueryDisplay.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 6
Sorry but when I retried it, all I got was

START: DevconInfoDump script
***************************** devcon classes
ECHO is off.
***************************** devcon listclass display

No, I'm the one who's sorry! I know systems well but not tried doin much with DOS batch scripts before

So we'll just do this using the old tried and true method
Download and run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Still under Preferences click Report, uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report in plain text. Check items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
    • Display
  • Attach to a TechSpot post

Then please rerun dxdiag.
click Save Information button and save to your Desktop and attach it and also the everest report

you definitely have a video adapter (appears to be ATI Radeon X300)

I suspect windows can't find adapter specific driver (i see it's using a generic video driver that comes with Windows) and that's what's causing it all

Easy to confirm and if the case just point you to right driver
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

thanks for that reassurance.
and a few problems...
Ethernet Controller PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4401&SUBSYS_01991028&REV_01\4&10416D21&0&18F0 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Video Controller PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B70&SUBSYS_03031002&REV_00\4&166AB6CD&0&0108 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Video Controller (VGA Compatible) PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&SUBSYS_03021002&REV_00\4&166AB6CD&0&0008 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Haha.

was about to just refer you to the Dell drivers thread, did a search for its reference, started reading the thread the search hit displayed and suddenly realized i was re-reading this thread (forgot that's how it all started!)

Have that Dell video install driver saved on your hard drive. will use it shortly

Try the following
Device Manager may still be storing prior video install info you don't normally see and can interfere with new installs (I would've found out about it myself easily if my script worked! must be a typo in your copy as worked for someone else.. But moving on...)
For Device Manager to display everything (including "ghost" devices)
=> Open command prompt by Start->Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt
=> Enter each of the 2 lines of code below at the prompt (Text must be exactly as shown. Best to simply copy then paste it)
Code:
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc
=> When Device Manager opens click View->Show Hidden Devices
=> Look at your video devices and also look down to see if anything listed in category Other Devices
=> You should be finding at least two video devices (probably w.yellow icons) one for each listed in last report. Rt click Uninstall them
=> Also look if any entries that are listed with any of the following device names. If they appear then rt click and Uninstall it (the semi-transparent icons are for ghosts)
===> NVIDIA device name or
===> Video Controller PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B70.. as start of device name or
===> Video Controller (VGA Compatible) PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B60.. as start of devname

May as well reboot next and then run the dell installer.

also (just recalled) if need be if still a problem there's a tool should clean up old Nvidia data. .but if it's needed will try tomorrow

Hi Hi,
sorry i've been away... again!
but no luck with it, same damn messages when installing the Dell and Nvidia drivers. am i supposed to install the cds that come with the computer, per se?

sorry i've been away... again!

KelseyKillgasm

No worries about having been away....

I've taken another and closer look into the data reported earlier given the continued problems you report. I note a couple things:
1) Appears there are a couple other drivers you should have (and don't seem to have) we should also fix
2) Tho i'm not currently thinking that's the cause of your graphics card problem.

You have an "add-on" video card in your computer. But i don't think you bought it direct from Dell. As I tried looking into the installer file for Dell's NVIDIA driver. Now, admittedly these installer files aren't the easiest to interpret but on first read i don't think the driver on Dell's support site is for the NVIDIA card actually in your computer! (Do you recall if the add-on card came from Dell? or purchased seperately?)

So i'll be following up with additional posts so
1) we first clean up other missing drivers
2) then we focus on finding/installing the right NVIDIA driver for your specific graphic card

/* EDIT */
Specifically above meaning to say the Dell NVIDIA driver is for the add-on card one could have bought from Dell. But i don't think that is the card inside your computer!

My dad setup the computer and he said it was the card in my computer now.
is there anyway of finding out what graphics card it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back